Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Girlfriend

Options
  • 23-05-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for any help for my girlfriend. We have being going out for about a year now and I think there's something wrong. When we first met she was depressed, always sad, nearly crying every day and night over things. She says I'm what's making her happy so she is a lot better now but she still cries sometimes and more worryingly;she occasionally hears shouting in her head, voices she can't understand but shouting none the less.
    Her family wouldn't be very supportive and I know her father has been abusive at times to her sibling and herself but not recently. Her mother is nice but she goes along with whatever the father says (a bit of a push-over I suppose).
    She wouldn't be very confident in her looks in some ways even though she's a very attractive girl.
    I love and care for her so much but I worry that if something ever happened with us and she went back to being like this it could get worse and I wouldn't be able to live with that on my mind.
    Any suggestions or ideas of what's wrong?
    I have looked into things like Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia but I don't think it is that severe.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm afraid that we don't allow people to diagnose conditions here. I suggest you try to persuade her to go to her GP and get her some proper professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not looking for a diagnoses really more so is there anything I can do or what could be causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Is there any psychiatric history in her family,
    would strongly advise she be reviewed by Dr,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nnotssure wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a diagnoses really more so is there anything I can do or what could be causing it?

Without knowing what's wrong with her it's hard for anyone to make suggestions as to what you could do for her. Seriously the only thing you should be doing at this stage is getting her to her doctor so someone who is actually qualified can have a look at here. A qualified medical professional will not give advice without examining your girlfriend first, so all you're going to get here is a lot of advice from well-meaning amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Here is what to do?
    Make an appointment for a GP.
    Bring her right into the GP's office.
    If she is not ready to go (some people use a delaying tactic "I ddont have keys/wallet/hair not done"")
    When she come out he will hopefully prescribe antidepressants.
    This is when the work starts.
    Any medication will take 4-6 to build up. Every day you have to be sure she takes her medication. Also that she is eating well and exercising and washing, less TV and internet are a good start.
    the first three weeks are the hardest.
    I want to wish you luck and with your help she will see the light at the end of the tunnel shortly. You sound like a really cool guy to be able to see past this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not looking for a diagnoses really more so is there anything I can do
    Be good to her, reassure her, but don't over do it. Be assertive - "I'm important, but so are you".
    or what could be causing it?
    We can't see. Internet diagnosis is error-prone enough without also having to deal with second hand symptoms.
    When we first met she was depressed, always sad, nearly crying every day and night over things.
    We all feel a bit down from time to time and sometimes we cry. However, if someone is feeling down for an extended period and persistently crying (and not a baby), then that is reason to investigate further. The best person to do that investigation is a doctor, in consultation with the client.
    I have looked into things like Bi-Polar and Schizophrenia but I don't think it is that severe.
    This is the equivalent of an internet diagnosis equating a headache with brain cancer. You aren't bad for trying to help her, but the best way to help is via a doctor.

Voices in our heads? We all get voices in our heads, typically our own and the hardest part we have to deal with is out inner critic - that little guy sitting on you shoulder saying "Come on, come on, get off the computer and cook dinner and tidy up the living room", who often is saying things that out parents, teachers or other authority figures would say if they were present. And we often have a "narrator voice" as we think things through as we are about to do them. We will often rehearse things we are going to say or do and sometimes we fantasise or (over) analyse things with a voice, sometimes someone else's voice, e.g. if someone said something nasty to you. Everyone gets something like that.

However, if we are imagining voices or can't tell the difference between an imagined voice and a real voice or have strange voices tell us to do inappropriate things, that when we need to go to the doctor.

Advertisement