Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is meditation the next step for me?

Options
  • 23-05-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

Hey all, not sure if this is the correct forum or not but I'am in need of some direction and would appreciate your opinion.

I'am a big fan of Eckhart Tolle's, The power of Now, and for the past year have tried to incorporate the practices he suggests into my life.

I'am unsure if many of you are familiar with this book, and the practices proposed, but to those of you who are, would I be correct in saying that a lot of his 'teaching' are rooted in the Buddhist tradition?

The whole area of the ego, living in the moment, the incessant mind, etc, really struck a chord with me, and I now would like to take my journey into the discovery and understanding of these matters further.

So, with what I have told you, would you think that attending a course such as such as this would be a good starting point for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 176 ✭✭pkr_ennis

So, with what I have told you, would you think that attending a course such as such as this would be a good starting point for me?

Thanks.

Yes, that looks like a really good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Hey all, not sure if this is the correct forum or not but I'am in need of some direction and would appreciate your opinion.

I'am a big fan of Eckhart Tolle's, The power of Now, and for the past year have tried to incorporate the practices he suggests into my life.

I'am unsure if many of you are familiar with this book, and the practices proposed, but to those of you who are, would I be correct in saying that a lot of his 'teaching' are rooted in the Buddhist tradition?

The whole area of the ego, living in the moment, the incessant mind, etc, really struck a chord with me, and I now would like to take my journey into the discovery and understanding of these matters further.

Thanks.

Thank you for pointing out this course to me. I'm going to attend it as well. I will miss the class on June 24th as I will be in Spain. I hope they don't mind hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Yes, meditation as taught by the Buddha would be a great step. But if I were you I would try and find a universal, non-sectarian teaching that doesn't contain rites or rituals. Be weary of cults. Eckhart Tolle teaches a technique that doesn't involve joining up with a religion or cult.

Kadampa (from the link in the OP) is listed as a cult like organisation here:
    http://www.buddhismaustralia.org/cults.htm

For the pure non-sectarian, universal technique of meditation as practised by Buddha himself (and as wonderfully described by Eckhart Tolle), you can try Vipassana for free here:
    http://www.ie.dhamma.org/

Choose wisely, and choose pure dhamma :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Thanks for the heads up Dagon.

I never even considered that a Buddhist organisation with a seemingly controversial background could be visiting the west of Ireland.

Vipassana seems to be more like what I am looking for.

• Advertisement

Cool. Give the Vipassana a try and let us know how you found it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

I would also recommend the Shambhala Center.

They are a Tibetan Buddhist school, but they off a secular, non-religious meditation training set up. Its where I learned.

The method of meditation is very similar to Zazen from Zen; attention on the breath and awareness of your thoughts.

Check them out at their website. They do open nights with training for beginners on Wednesday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Mervatron wrote: »
    I would also recommend the Shambhala Center.

They are a Tibetan Buddhist school, but they off a secular, non-religious meditation training set up. Its where I learned.

The method of meditation is very similar to Zazen from Zen; attention on the breath and awareness of your thoughts.

Check them out at their website. They do open nights with training for beginners on Wednesday nights.

Thanks for the link Mervatron, however Iam in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

There's a zen dojo in bridge mills in Galway. Never been though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

I would say i am at the same level as you so to speak in understanding of one self.
    I have been to Sunyata Retreat Centre in Co. Clear for a Silent Day of Meditation few weeks ago in which i found really good and would highly recommend it for you.
    link - http://www.sunyatacentre.org

and just on a different note, they are holding a special retreat in Augest if anyone is interasted. they have invited Ajahn Sumedho, the world-renowned Western disciple of Thai Meditation Master Ajahn Chah. http://www.sunyatacentre.org/content/mindfulness-path-deathless

• Advertisement
Advertisement