Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbeyleix bypass - what time will it open

Options
  • 23-05-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

So I'm driving down from Dublin on Friday and usually pass through Abbeyleix around lunchtime - is there any chance it'll be open then??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The official ceremony tends to be about noon, but it can be mid afternoon before they open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

4 pm is what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dave wilson

But are they closing Johnstown to Cullahill motorway section for a few days to link it up?

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm told that the Cullahill M8 junction was closed yesterday, with traffic now joining and leaving the M8 at Urlingford.

I spoke to an engineer yesterday, and he told me that Beloved Leader (Mr. Cowan) will be cutting the ribbon at noon, and they've been told to have the road ready to open between 1 and 2. The official opening time is indeed 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

From what I understand, the Cashel-Culahill motorway was built at the public's expense, but that the stretch from Urlingford to Culahill will lead inescapably to a toll. Is this even legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Bit late now for complaining innit ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SeanW wrote: »
    From what I understand, the Cashel-Culahill motorway was built at the public's expense, but that the stretch from Urlingford to Culahill will lead inescapably to a toll. Is this even legal?

Same thing happened with the Watergrasshill bypass. Kathy Sinnott tried taking a case but I don't think she got anywhere.

In this case though, you can escape at Junction 3 (it just leaves you a good bit from the old N8) so you can still use the entire publicly funded motorway toll free, just not to get anywhere useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stark wrote: »
    Same thing happened with the Watergrasshill bypass. Kathy Sinnott tried taking a case but I don't think she got anywhere.

In this case though, you can escape at Junction 3 (it just leaves you a good bit from the old N8) so you can still use the entire publicly funded motorway toll free, just not to get anywhere useful.
    It will leave you 10km from Rathdowney and 10km from Abbeyleix on the R433. It is in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

SeanW wrote: »

It isn't true. This was what we originally feared, but in fact you will be able to drive from Urlingford to junction 3 (Ballacolla, Abbeyleix) toll-free. So you will be able to drive on a piece of PPP road without having to pay. However, it will not be worth anyone's while dodging this toll in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

Ah yes, I saw it on OSM just now, there is a dumbell junction under construction.

You're right, using it as a toll dodge would be a very bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yep, it is simply not worth it. The R433 is an appalling road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

actually, on the infrastructure board i mentioned a few times how lousy the 443 is, but this week they have actually only gone and fixed it from Rathdowney to Ballacolla!

incidently, there are big road closures coming during the summer in north tipp as they fix the roads there which have been destroyed by the HGV traffic for the motorways, some roads will be closed for a month they are in such a bad state.

Advertisement