Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yucca Help!

Options
  • 23-05-2010 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've got a yucca which looks a bit poorly. I brought it over from England where I had it some years. It grew pretty tall, and was doing really well.

Since coming here, the yucca's gone downhill. Most of the leaves have turned brown and died, although the top's still nice and green.

Where am I going wrong and what can I do to correct it?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

hi
    all mine have passed on to the great garden in the sky ! am blaming the severe winter , hope someone else has some advise . good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yeah - I was afraid you'd say that!! :D

Ah well - off to the garden centre now I suppose...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They can be remarkably hardy, even when all appears lost. I had one for years, but wasnt that pushed on it. It was in a pot a little too small for it(its about 6 foot tall). Last winter it got hammered. dead as a dodo. I chopped off one of the dead side branches and it was very moist inside, so I thougt life may still be in play so I left it. It has come on since the weather turned. All new growth and some from the bottom. I transfered it into a bigger pot. I suspect if its in a pot at the moment and you bung it in the ground it'll come back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

i had one it was in a shaded area i lost it, just one of 25 other plants, well i guess the garden centres have to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Yucca are sun loving plants that like a dry site such as a free draining soil in a gravel garden. Plant them in clay soil they will most likely not like the wet winters we get here, so be careful where you plant it and the soil type. Lots of grit in the soil to help drainage and in a place in a sunny spot and don't over water.
    Should be ok. Might have to fleece them over hard winters or they will rot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

all is not lost ! have noticed a teenie weenie shoot on one of mine , so they can survive -16 !!

Advertisement