Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Singers" screaming and that wobbly voice yoke!

Options
  • 23-05-2010 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭

Right, i know it's hardly a recent thing, but why, since the mid 90s, has EVERY singer had to wobble their voice at the end of EVERY sentence/lyric.

I imagine it it something singing teachers would teach in order for you to prolong the note? But surely not after every flippin sentence!

Also, how come most pop/R&B singers thinks that such screaming "YEEAAAAH" or screaming in general constitutes singing? Like this clown

Am i the only one who prefers a nice long clean note being sung?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Cause they all wanted to copy Mariah & Whitney.

Bints the whole lot of 'em, not fit to kiss their boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Cause they all wanted to copy Mariah & Whitney.

Bints the whole lot of 'em, not fit to kiss their boobs.

Indeed!

Whitney back in the day didn't even do it as much.

That Mariah high pitch thing is impressive the first time you hear it...... but she does it in EVER song. She's had more albums than i've had baths (i've had 15 baths) so it's VERY old......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They get caught up more so in showing off what they can do... then actually just doing it...

There is no reason for those "Vocal Solo's" at all...

They get caught up more so in showing off what they can do... then actually just doing it...

There is no reason for those "Vocal Solo's" at all...
    Yeah, and then you watch The X Factor or American Idol or whatever and they turn up doing these solos!

It's cringe-worthy!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That Mariah high pitch thing is impressive the first time you hear it...... but she does it in EVER song.

Ah, she's not that bad .. she gets more stick that she deserves I think.

At least she does it in tune and in time and in the rhythm of the song.

I fcuking can't stand singers that just go off on a warrble for the sake of it.

Beyonce does it and it wrecks my head.

I compare it to guitar solos.

Some lead guitarists will solo and it will be perfect for the song and even make it in some instances.

Yet, then some other muppets destroy a perfectly good song by solo'ing away and just ruins the bloody thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hapenny

i couldn't tell ya but all i know about it is that these people obviously have amazingly gifted voices and then they go and fk it up by goin on like a 12 year old at a talent show.. sad.. and showing off at the price of losing the feeling from the song, butchery!!

The shaky voice yoke wrecks my head more than anything!

Its at the pointwhere every line you hear in every song on the radio is sang in a shaky voice!

For me, i like hearing a nice long sustained note uninterrupted by that shaky yoke!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Ah, she's not that bad .. she gets more stick that she deserves I think.

At least she does it in tune and in time and in the rhythm of the song.

I fcuking can't stand singers that just go off on a warrble for the sake of it.

Beyonce does it and it wrecks my head.

I compare it to guitar solos.

Some lead guitarists will solo and it will be perfect for the song and even make it in some instances.

Yet, then some other muppets destroy a perfectly good song by solo'ing away and just ruins the bloody thing.

I know alot of people aint too fond of U2 and such... but I've watched alot of interviews by the Edge... and he has the same view point on guitar solo's... if the song doesn't call for it... or need 1... there's no point in doing a solo for the sake of having a solo in there.

As you know yerself... The Boss has Clarence on tap... but only uses him so much and that's what makes it all the more special when he does break out the sax.
    Yeah, and then you watch The X Factor or American Idol or whatever and they turn up doing these solos!

It's cringe-worthy!

Cringe worthy... not exactly... I just don't watch that tripe... :P

hapenny wrote: »
    i couldn't tell ya but all i know about it is that these people obviously have amazingly gifted voices and then they go and fk it up by goin on like a 12 year old at a talent show.. sad.. and showing off at the price of losing the feeling from the song, butchery!!

Don't worry... you've hit the nail on the head ;)

I know alot of people aint too fond of U2 and such... but I've watched alot of interviews by the Edge... and he has the same view point on guitar solo's... if the song doesn't call for it... or need 1... there's no point in doing a solo for the sake of having a solo in there.

for starters, IMO a lot of people hate U2 just for Bono and are afraid to like their music.

I love The Edge. It's rare you hear an actual solo from him. Normally his guitar STYLE shapes the song. Thats the way it should be!

Cringe worthy... not exactly... I just don't watch that tripe... :P

I used to watch it every year for the auditions. It really is great TV. And then i'd stop watching when the stage shows start.

This year though, i watched it every week. And........ loved every minute of it

/street cred

/street cred

yeah... yer losing it :P

• Advertisement

yeah... yer losing it :P

I haven't lost it yet...... but wait.

I started watching the stage shows because i wanted to watch.............. Jedward!

:cool:

you got guts admitting to that man!

you got guts admitting to that man!

I might as well destroy all my street cred at once!

This year though, i watched it every week. And........ loved every minute of it

/street cred

I watch it the odd time, more the repeats during the day.

In fairness to Simon Cowell, he is rarely wrong.

I love when some bint tries to do a Whitney or Mariah track and he just laughs at them for even attempting it.

The Greatest Love Of All is forever being tried.

Some girl even tried to sing Mariah's Emotions :p

Not even Whitney could sing that one, it's in the Guinness Book of Records for song with the highest note in the history of recorded music apparently.

Don't worry for those of you who don't like Mariah, you don't have to listen to all of it.

It happens at the end of the song, so just jump to the 4minute mark ;)

Yup! Mariah and Whitney are/were amazing talents.

Problem is, when these 14/15 year old girls sing along to songs, they hear themselves as mariah or Whitney.

Many times i've sang along to a song, then another time sang it and it doesnt sound the same.

Also, their parents and friends dont have the guts to tell their kids/friends are sh1te!

Also, their parents and friends dont have the guts to tell their kids/friends are sh1te!

Yeah ..

Here's Britney as a kid so obviously thinking she sounds like Mariah or Whitney :p

it's like anything! I think these girls get so used to singing along to these wobbly voice people that when they sing "naturally, they have picked up that habit and that has become their "natural" singing voice!

Like, do you ever head Irish and British bands singing in fake American accents? In particular, you notice it with pop-punk bands and that. They all sing in that "Blink 182" style. It's probably not their fault. They're probably so used to singing that way OR they want to sound like them so much that they sing like that.

It makes me a sad panda! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Because female artists generally don't go into the whole guitar thing somewhere along the way the trend of basically singing in the style of a guitar solo came to be. As a fan of bluesy stuff i can't say i don't like it although it is overdone for sure :).

Advertisement