Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

petrol v's diesil advise

Options
  • 22-05-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Ok so I've slowly beed working my way up the grid and my current car is a VW 2000 1.8 diesil. Its the best car I have had yet and I love it but due to circumstances I have to buy another car. Now this is my dilema. This car was my first diesil and I have found it fantastic economically though I hate the tax rates! I am a single parent of 2 and both are in child seats. So I do need a large car and room for the dog lol.

My query is this.... for financial reasons am I really better getting a smaller engine which more than likely would be a petrol car. Or does having a diesel with larger engine size and higher tax balance out with the rate of petrol as it is. I do approx 20,000 miles a year and will be buying another second hand car. Depending on what car I eventually go for the newest I could get is probably a 2005.

On another matter.. buying a big car ie. passat, primera, scenic, do they run better on bigger engines for eg scenic comes as low as 1.4 Primera 1.6 petrol can these really work as well???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.4--HDI/201014197543574/advert?channel=CARS

dunno what your price range is,
    but this has room for two kids and a dog,
    its 1.4 low tax
    1.3 hdi so great miles per gallon,
    i have no idea what there like though,
    this one is same model> http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/Y-SPORTS/201020198019419/advert?channel=CARS lower miles better price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This is a very difficult question to answer as it will depend on the exact model and engine.

Top Gear did a diesel v [super economical] petrol version and the surprise was the diesel was faster, had more power for pulling the full load and more economical.

In the larger car series they also ran a diesel that left the sports petrol in the shade.

Low powered petrol engines are really for the single driver as loading one of these with the children, pets, bag of coal and shopping will cause the car to consume a lot more fuel.

A more powerful engine will cost more for the single driver but will not be as proportionately more costly for the fully loaded vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 snicdhonn

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/1.4--HDI/201014197543574/advert?channel=CARS

dunno what your price range is,
    but this has room for two kids and a dog,
    its 1.4 low tax
    1.3 hdi so great miles per gallon,
    i have no idea what there like though,
    this one is same model> http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/Y-SPORTS/201020198019419/advert?channel=CARS lower miles better price

I would refer a 306 for size to be honest... but not really needing help finding a car its more what people reccomend as being hte most economical.... Plannig on spending max 5,000

gbee wrote: »
    This is a very difficult question to answer as it will depend on the exact model and engine.

Top Gear did a diesel v [super economical] petrol version and the surprise was the diesel was faster, had more power for pulling the full load and more economical.

In the larger car series they also ran a diesel that left the sports petrol in the shade.

Low powered petrol engines are really for the single driver as loading one of these with the children, pets, bag of coal and shopping will cause the car to consume a lot more fuel.

A more powerful engine will cost more for the single driver but will not be as proportionately more costly for the fully loaded vehicle.
    Diesel power really suprised me and was getting great mileage. I am open to all suggestions/comparrisons. For a budget of 5,000 max obviously want low mileage and reliability, a car that will give me a few good years. But I need to know what route is best to go... what people reccomend or have had experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

gbee wrote: »
    No they didn't...
    Anyway, small petrols are more economical around town, but diesels are more economical everywhere else. Diesels typically are more expensive to buy than an equivalent petrol.
    The difference in tax isn't that massive, maybe €200 in a year difference between a 1.6 and 1.9. The cost of buying will be the bigger factor. 20,000 miles is on the point where you're probably better off sticking to diesel, but it all depends on your budget and the particular car(s) in question.

• Advertisement

You won't get much of a 2005 diesel for €5000. Doing 20,000/annum makes diesel very attractive though. Your VW is a 1.9 I reckon.

RoverJames wrote: »
    You won't get much of a 2005 diesel for €5000. Doing 20,000/annum makes diesel very attractive though. Your VW is a 1.9 I reckon.
    Ya I realise buying a second hand diesil will men a car with higher mileage on it. And no defo a 1.8 VW comfortline well its 17?? cc

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    No they didn't...
    Anyway, small petrols are more economical around town, but diesels are more economical everywhere else. Diesels typically are more expensive to buy than an equivalent petrol.
    The difference in tax isn't that massive, maybe €200 in a year difference between a 1.6 and 1.9. The cost of buying will be the bigger factor. 20,000 miles is on the point where you're probably better off sticking to diesel, but it all depends on your budget and the particular car(s) in question.

I live in the country, but ya i know minute you hit town the needle goes down! 1.5 diesil would be a dream but thats not gonna happen. I guess its really a 50/50 toss here... I just wanted to narrow my search but gonna keep searching!

snicdhonn wrote: »
    a VW 2000 1.8 diesil.
    And no defo a 1.8 VW comfortline well its 17?? cc

not a diesel so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Ya I realise buying a second hand diesil will men a car with higher mileage on it. And no defo a 1.8 VW comfortline well its 17?? cc
    If your VW Golf of a 2000 vintage is 17xx cc then it isn't a diesel. The only diesels available in the Golf of that year are the 1.9 TDi's, all 1896cc (or close).

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    If your VW Golf of a 2000 vintage is 17xx cc then it isn't a diesel. The only diesels available in the Golf of that year are the 1.9 TDi's, all 1896cc (or close).
    I never said golf.. its a passat, sorry didnt even realise i didnt clarify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I never said golf.. its a passat, sorry didnt even realise i didnt clarify that!
    Same engines, there was no 1.8 diesel engine in the 2000 Passat. If it's a diesel then it's probably a 1.9?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Same engines, there was no 1.8 diesel engine in the 2000 Passat. If it's a diesel then it's probably a 1.9?
    sorry i am al confused now been looking at so many cars this week. it must be 1.9 or is 1.7 possibly then.... but ya was only giving that info to let ye know what i have been running. In this economy wodering if petrol smalle rengine is way to go or stick with wat i got..or rather get another as i lost that car in a split up.

Advertisement