Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The power of now

Options
  • 22-05-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

have just read this and without doubt one of the best books i haver ever read, the simple principle of clearing ur mind of thoughts about the future/past is so freeing yet so simple but powerful ,never realised how loud my mind is This book has changed me from a complete athiest into some one who will consider the concept of god, i largely blame this on the way the modern christians interept the bible . Has anybody read this and what were your impressions/reactions after reading it
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah I've read this book many times, and can say it has truly changed my life, or at least how I view it.

As you said, I too never fully appreciated the incessant chatter of the mind. Its so liberating to know that the mind is a tool to be used by the soul, and not the other way around.

I found the practice of 'watching the thinker' hard to master, and it has taking me a year to be able to let go and let this happen, but now I'am getting there.

The discovery of the very concept of living in the now, as in this very moment, has been an indescribable joy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'll give this a read. It's on Google Books.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Yes, this is really a fantastic book indeed! I'm currently reading his new one "A new Earth" and it's equally as good. It seems like what he's teaching is a carbon copy of the stuff I've done on the 10-day Vipassana retreats, only he uses different words. In any case, he describes the meditative experience really well and furthers my understanding of what has been practised.

Not sure why this is on the Buddhist forum, would be more suited to the spiritual forum I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adnoif

I love his other book - A New Earth. If you liked PON you are sure to like this one.

Advertisement