Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Irish: Higher or lower level?!

Options
  • 22-05-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I was just wondering what the comparison in difficulty between pass and honours Irish is? I got a C2 in my mock, and i'm not sure if i will take the pass or honors paper in june, if anyone has done honors irish and moved down to pass, how have you found it? is there anything extra in pass that i wouldnt know considering how late i decided to take the pass paper?? Thanks in advance :D oh and how hard is it to get an a in pass?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

A C in the mox should warrant you to stay at honours, i dropped down in november, It is mind numbingly easy, but i'm not sure how easy it is to get an A, it depends on your gammar.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Even if you get an A1 in pass you won't get as many points as your C2 in honours. If you got that in your mock you're well able to sit the HL exam in June. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

A few people were recommended to move down after our mocks if they got a D or lower. When they saw what we had to do, the majority thought it was alot easier to study for. I moved down in the beginning of 6th as I got a D3 in the previous summer and it was the subject I wasn't using for points. I ended up getting a B1 in ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Definitely stay in Higher. Unless it's an issue of taking up too much time, I'd stay because even with your mock result you'll get more points than what you would if you got an A1 at ordinary. And you'll probably improve from the mock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FairyWings

Defo.. Irish at pass is no comparison at honours (not meant to cause offence to anyone sitting the OL exam) But if you got a C2 in the mock and kept working,theres no reason as to why you shouldnt improve :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm in Retard OL Irish. Its really really basic. The same texts are on both, just studied to a different level, so you could do it, but there is no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I got a C1 in higher level in my Christmas test but decided to drop after that. I was spending too much time on it and it was my 7th subject. Pass is fine, it's pretty much 5 poems, 5 stories, a letter, a scéal and 2 comprehensions. You'll know the stories and poems already and you'll just have to revise how to do a letter and scéal as you probably havn't done them since 3rd year but it's really easy to catch up on. I got a B in the mocks but it was the listening that let me down. It's generally alright but the mocks one was torture!

It's up to you but if you think you can get a C in honours you should probably stay unless you're spending way too much time on it and want to focus on other subjects. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Stick with the honours- I got a C1 in my mock and will hopefully stay the same or come up to the B. Remember a C1 at hons is 70 points- not to be sneered at at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

it would be kinda stupid to drop down now, seen as you have done all the extra work for honours ie the aiste, your novel (an triail/a thig na tit orm), all the honours poems and stair na gaeilge.

plus a c is a good result? you should be worried if you failed!

Advertisement