Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network issue at home, ethernet port down..

Options
  • 22-05-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im really stuck on a networking issue.

I have a Netopia Model 3341 DSL USB series router from eircom (non wiress).
    The ethernet port seems to be not working on it. I can connect to the modem through a USB to configure etc, but i need the ethernet port to connect it to a belkin wireless router i bought today. I cant connect to the eircom router through the ethernet port. When i plug it in. No lights appear on router or the back of the network card connection.

Lan status report on router is like:
    USB: Up
    Ethernet: Down.

Im using the Yellow cable that came with the belkin router.

i'd really appreciate your help on this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know probably obvious, but have you tested the ethernet cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

ah sure better safe than sorry!

Ye i tested the cable, I can use the cable to configure the second belkin wireless router no problem so i know the ethernet port on the computer and the cable are fine..

I was thinking more about last nite. There is a USB and an Ethernet port on the back of the netopia router, but is it possble these share the same network interface? ie: u can use USB OR Ethernet for the same connection, but not both?

Cheers for the suggestion

Still stuck on this problem if anyone has any other ideas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Why do you need to connect to the eircom router when you've just bought a new wirelss Belkin router???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

theTinker wrote: »
    Still stuck on this problem if anyone has any other ideas..

The USB and ethernet sockets are connected to seperate nics so both can be active at the same time. Are you using a crossover cable to connect to the eircom modem?

• Advertisement

Gavin wrote: »
    The USB and ethernet sockets are connected to seperate nics so both can be active at the same time. Are you using a crossover cable to connect to the eircom modem?

Hi Gavin, Thxs.

No I am using the yellow Straight Through cable that came with the Belkin router. I thought straight throughs were to be used with routers and crossovers between hubs/etc? Should i be using a cross over?

Thanks for confirmation on the Nic set ups. Nice to put that out of my mind.

FusionNet wrote: »
    Why do you need to connect to the eircom router when you've just bought a new wirelss Belkin router???

Hi Fusion, Im connecting the belkin router to the netopia router because the box/instructions all tell me to connect it to the router. It has no phone line socket on it. Just 5 ethernet ports, one for connecting to another router, and 4 more for wired computers. I think its really just designed to provide wireless to an already existing internet connection. The manual diagrams and instructions and back port all indicate to connect it to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

How have you set up the Belkin router, did you make sure it has a different IP than the Netopia and also make sure to disable the DHCP on the Belkin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Ah ok thats the confusion. The belkin unit is a switch with a wan port maybe not a router. you dont normally need to use a crossover as most switches do it automatically but you'd wanna check the specs.

Can you tell me this. If you connect a PC to the Netopia ethernet does it work? If not can you confirm that all the pins look ok on the Netopia RJ45 socket.

Also these netopia units are rubbish. I would have bought a belkin with a DSL option and scrap the netopia. The other thing you could do on the Netopia is a firmware upgrade. But to be honest if that was a client of mine Id be binning the Netopia and replacing..

Advertisement