Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grass strimmer

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey guys lookin for a grass strimmer with line ,blade(brushcutter)and hedge trimmer attachment . what is best make and pricies

cheers

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

I got a Ryobi with twin line head , brush cutter blade and hedge cutting bar from Screwfix for £90.00 18 months ago. They've got them today , same package, for £99.99. It's done a great job for me, the hedge cutter deals with quite tough old growth and changing overr from hedge cutter to line strimmer takes no more than a minute - really good system. I don't think screwfix deliver to Ireland - but they deliver to the North - got a friend of mine in Co. Fermanagh to take delivery.

George

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

bk1991 wrote: »
    hey guys lookin for a grass strimmer with line ,blade(brushcutter)and hedge trimmer attachment . what is best make and pricies

cheers

bk1991

make sure you get one with highish ccs. i have both and both are seperate and not together. the strimmer is 34cc. not sure about the hedgecutter but think its around the same. both are maruyama. either never gave a days trouble except the choke buttom on the strimmer perished. buy from a dealer and not this lidl **** and they will last you a lifetime. make sure to always put in two stroke if they are that -most are. my hedgecutter is about a meter from the engine to the cutter before the cutter starts if you get me. strimmer on its own cost €380 two years ago. the hedgecutter is about ten years old id say so i was only a baba when it was bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

make sure you get one with highish ccs. i have both and both are seperate and not together. the strimmer is 34cc. not sure about the hedgecutter but think its around the same. both are maruyama. either never gave a days trouble except the choke buttom on the strimmer perished. buy from a dealer and not this lidl **** and they will last you a lifetime. make sure to always put in two stroke if they are that -most are. my hedgecutter is about a meter from the engine to the cutter before the cutter starts if you get me. strimmer on its own cost €380 two years ago. the hedgecutter is about ten years old id say so i was only a baba when it was bought

I second the Maruyama stuff. Have a 50cc strimmer. It's a serious weapon. Bit on the heavy side for long stints of working, but is just cuts through the heaviest of growth.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BeeDI wrote: »
    I second the Maruyama stuff. Have a 50cc strimmer. It's a serious weapon. Bit on the heavy side for long stints of working, but is just cuts through the heaviest of growth.

B
    Maruyama is hard to beat, I have a couple 26cc and 40cc and they are troublefree. Tanaka are also good strimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Depends on where you are. Here in the west, Connacht Gold c-op shops sell an Italian brand called Efco which is excellent

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

funny, I am in the same boat, (maybe)

I thought for a while my had a foreign machine but just reading the few posts above has made me feel better. . .

We have a strimmer, (string) Maruyama BC230H. never really gave any trouble, we have it years. Its cuts through anything.

However, in the last few months it starts fine, but as you rev the engine you can feel that the power isnt in it. and even though the strings look to be going full on, if you throw it in to long grass you will actually stop in from rotating. . .

so in summary, starts fine, rev it up and the head spins (yet seems to have no power) put the head against the ground and it stops. . . .

so, I was on the net researching a new machine, and saw that a few poeople here have Maruyama,

can anyone shed light on my problem?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is the airfilter clean?
    Fresh mix?
    If the machine is very old it may be down on compression and need new rings, this is a simple job and shouldn't take that long or cost that much.
    The trick is finding a good 2t mechanic that won't gouge you on the price.
    Rings shouldn't cost more than €15.

Advertisement