Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laurel - spot hole disease????

Options
  • 22-05-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭

bare root laurel planted end of march just noticed a lot of leaves on some of them have fallen off. some went yellow and many have holes and/or brown spots. i have attched photos for someone to diagnose whether or not it is spot hole disease and offer advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Hi km79,

the holes could be caused by insects eating them. Not sure what pests like laurel leaves, but I have a similar issue with other plants. The leaves that are turning yellow and falling off could be because of not enough moisture. I noticed that you planted it very close to a block wall. Walls tend to dry out the ground and act like sponges sucking up moisture. You also have grass competing for moisture in the same area. Try watering them with Epsom Salts to help encourage fresh growth and give them a feed. If you can, try moving them a little away from the wall. Laurel get very, VERY large by the way and can take up alot of space in a small garden. If it's giving you problems, and you want to cover up that wall so you don't see it, maybe consider an ivy. Doesn't take any space compared and there are evergreen ones available also.
    Cheers
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

its a big garden so space not a problem:) what kind of feed? would the lawn feed do or should i get specific plant feed

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

You can get feed for trees and shrubs. Or a general all perpous organic fertiliser is fine. Lawn feed is different since it has different requirements. Basically it's down to the percentage of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium etc in the feed. Also Epsom salts are good to encourage new leaves. Don't need to apply this as much as feed however. To help the laurel, I would remove the grass from around the base so as to remove any competition for moisture etc.
    Best of luck with it.

Advertisement