Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence sticker query.

Options
  • 22-05-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering about transferring a Win XP Pro licence from an old Dell Optiplex machine to another machine.

According to the Dell support site it didn't come with an OS so i'm going to assume it's not OEM. Also, I bought the PC second hand, maybe that is relevant.

Just wondering what I can do with this now? Am I allowed to physically move the sticker onto another machine and install the OS on the new PC? I know I must remove the install from the previous pc.

I also have the same query for another second hand pc that has a XP pro sticker that says 1-2 CPU. Can I legitimately install XP on a second pc using this sticker?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

moving licenses is messy

if the sticker says OEM, you can't move it
    you can't move refurbished ones either

if it says upgrade , then you would need to find the original OS too :(

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en-gb&pg=coa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

That a very informative link..

It turns out the two stickers are under the "Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs" category.

Both stickers have Dell printed on them but not OEM. Are they OEM licences?

Also, one of the stickers on has 1-2 CPU on it. can you explain exactly what this means?
    Do I have permission to run two installs on two machines because I have this sticker or what?

Edit: I've just done some reading it and it appears I won't be able to transfer either of these stickers/licences. Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

techguy wrote: »
    That a very informative link..

It turns out the two stickers are under the "Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs" category.

Both stickers have Dell printed on them but not OEM. Are they OEM licences?

Also, one of the stickers on has 1-2 CPU on it. can you explain exactly what this means?
    Do I have permission to run two installs on two machines because I have this sticker or what?

Edit: I've just done some reading it and it appears I won't be able to transfer either of these stickers/licences. Thanks for the help.
    It just refers to the number of CPU's on the motherboard (Dual / Quad core chip counts as 1 CPU )

1 is HOME
    1-2 is PRO
    1-4 is Server
    after that you get Enterprise / Datacentre licenses that allow more CPU's. most of the code is similar you just have to pay more when you buy more expensive hardware

Advertisement