Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive enclosure fan noise

Options
  • 21-05-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I needed an external hard drive to backup my files and thought I would be clever and build my own :o, I put it together today using a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb and a Pluscom caddy (http://tiny.cc/z3s4u) and the whirring and buzzing from the fan is driving me mental.

Would it be ok to just remove the fan from the circuit or would this cause some sort of power issue? The enclosure is aluminium so that might be enough of a heat sink on its own.

My other problem is that the computer won't recognise the drive, it doesn't show up in the disk management list in control panel even though the first time I connected it, it automatically installed the driver for it.

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.
    :confused:

Comments

An f3 will be fine run in a passive aluminium enclosure. Especially as it will be limited to usb read and write speeds there will be no overheating as long as you dont put it on a heater or something! try running it off a differant usb port on the pc and see if this helps. if not try booting the pc with it plugged in and turned on. If this fails....?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hi_there

thanks for replying! I tried what you said but still no joy unfortunately. I think the drive may actually be dead because when I took the enclosure's cover off and turned it on the only sound was coming from the fan-nothing at all from the drive itself and I did notice a slight burning smell the very first time I turned it on- I'm a bit new to the building lark so I didn't know what to make of that at the time :rolleyes: but I can guess its not good
    why didn't I just buy a ready-made ext drive :P

Advertisement