Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house: Agents?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I may have to move away for work and would like to rent my house. What are the agents like in and around the county/city? Are there any I should avoid and why? Which are good?
    Any guidance would be greatfully accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I can recommend Roisin in housefinders on Patrick street, I believe it's also called Fitzgeralds. Dee Gibney seemed very professional.

Also try Fran Grincell, he's very entertaining but I can not vouch for his professionalism. I only recommend him as he is a realist and seemed to have adapted to the new market better than others.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SweetEmpathy

Clodagh daly is wonderful to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Dee Gibney is very nice and very professional. I have also had dealings with Clodagh Daly too but she can be difficult to get hold of at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 the ostrich

Agents are shellshocked after the heady days of the tiger years, some have closed, some are now open part-time only, and some offices are only manned by a sole person. Agents who are still in business, will have injected personal cash into their business to stay afloat, and to save face.
    Choose an established letting agent, ask around town, there are many to choose from, still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's also Duggans on Williams street. Dealt with them once but that was a few years ago and they were indifferent to new business. Like the previous poster highlighted, times have changed.

Just to warn you though, I've been following rental prices on daft within the urban area for the last two years. In August 08 there were around 10 properties for rent for under €600, today there are 74.

I don't know what you expect to get for your rental but you'll have a lot of competition for tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

A friend of mine went through Clodagh Daly on John Street when he was renting out his house, said she was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Thanks to all who replied. I'll follow up your suggestions. As for rental prices I know that the prices have fallen and there is a lot of competition, fortunately I'm in a position to be more concerned about getting an agent who is reliable and actually offers a service than the rent achieved. My brother has had a very bad experience with Boyd so I wanted to avoid his experience.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Dee Gibney is very nice, professional and does a good deal. And for what it's worth, she's a looker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

What it's worth really depends on her line of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

I think you are over selling her Threadhead.

• Advertisement

I am Dee Gibney.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Threadhead wrote: »
    ...and I am Sean Martin.
    Behave.

Spartacus?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

You should try o'keefes in john st, I found them very good to deal with and they have years of experience, I'd stay away from howlin Duggan because they
    are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

kkmick wrote: »
    You should try o'keefes in john st, I found them very good to deal with and they have years of experience, I'd stay away from howlin Duggan because they
    are useless
    Agree about Howlin Duggan. But think O'Keefes are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 the cobblers

Hi I would stay away from Duggans a total disaster had dealings with them last year never again, but I would also stay away from Clodagh Daly had dealings with her a couple of years ago , very hard to get hold of and when you did all you got was her answer machine her office is never open and found her a very rude person to deal with a member of my family had the same problems 3 years ago.... I would go with Fran Grincell first class guy and knows what hes talking about, knows the area well and knows the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

If you get bad tenants it doesn't matter how good the agent is. For that reason I would never employ an agent.

Advertisement