Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berberis Hedge

Options
  • 21-05-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi Id like to grow this hedge out my front garden can someone tell me when is a good time to start planting,also how much do I plant them apart and do I plant using compost.Sorry for the silly questions but Ive never planted anthing before.Thanks in advance;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit late now to plant bare rooted shrubs, but if you are buying them in containers you could put them in provided you are prepared to keep watering them - half a watering can per plant several times a week while the weather is dry.

Soak the plants in the pots before you remove the pot and place the shrub in a prepared hole - the shrub should be the same depth as it was in the pot. Put a bit of compost in the hole and stir it around a bit so that the roots will be encouraged to leave the root ball. Put in water then put in the shrub and replace the soil round it. Don't pile soil round the stem as you want water to soak in, not run off.

If the roots are wrapped around inside the pot, tease them out a bit to encourage them to grow away from the root ball.

They need to be about 2 ft apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks so much thats very helpful ;)

Advertisement