Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want to hear on OpenFM?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

As you are all probably aware at this stage :) on the 13th of June, Dublin will for the first time, have a new radio station dedicated to providing space for open discussion for the LGBT Community in an effort to provide an insight in to this colourful culture to the straight community.

OpenFM - a space that celebrates openness through sound

What do you want to hear on these programmes?

Submit your ideas here: www.openfm.ie/schedule

Thank You

The OpenFM Crew
    info@openfm.ie
    OpenFM_Logo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭energy69

Any thoughts or questions feel free to ask. Sam Lyons is my name and I'm the Station Manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Rock music ,play rock music no madonna no kylie ,,just rock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Hi Sam. Firstly, great idea.

Secondly, what Oisín said above. I'd hate to see it degrade into yet another dance-station. I'd hope for decent discussion, including points of view from those not exactly sympathetic with the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Rock music ,play rock music no madonna no kylie ,,just rock
    He means classic rock with that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Split it half and half between music and discussion. I'd like to see a lot of debate, maybe a youth section, like issues teenagers face. Not just music, whatever the genre. If I want music I'll go to Phantom or spin103.8 or something. Also try to have a few representatives from all parts of the community. It bugs the life out of me when anything gay related only has gay men and no-one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some suggested discussions;
    * Interview openly gay politicians
    * Discussion on transphobia from LGB people
    * Interview people who run all the LGBT sports clubs
    * Discussion on gender recognition legislation
    * Discussion on being LGBT and disabled
    * Debate on pride; Is pride relevant, does it just portray stereotypes
    * Discussions with LGBT people who are parents
    * Discussions on being LGBT and older
    * Debate; is there a need for gay bars anymore?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would like to hear some discussion relating to gender identity - what does it mean to be trans/genderqueer?
    I'd also like to see some discussion relating to bisexuality/pansexuality.
    Seconding what crayolastereo says about having programming relating to youth issues, maybe a show dealing with coming out-related issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    He means classic rock with that of course.

I most certainly do mean classic rock .It's never played on any radio station except for Phantom on a friday nite.
    Do we really need another station aimed at "youth" when they have spin phantom 98,104fm ect ..
    Be unique ,dont play the pop cheesy crap played in gay bars,and if you do have doscussions ,dont let it be just aimed at young people coming out ect etc .Many a gay man /woman likes rock music and are not interested in topics already covered by mainstream stations ,,,i.e. coming out ,gay teenagers ect ect ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

To add to JMG's list: interviews and perspectives from families and, especially, parents of LGBT people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Seconding everything JohnnyMcg said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

Decent Music (No Pop)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 datura

Something serious about homophobic bullying in schools and the general homophobia of young people would be great.

As would a debate on freedom of speech in the context of OTT reactions to the likes of Brenda Power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Any possibility of it being available nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Freiheit wrote: »
    Any possibility of it being available nationwide?
    It is online through it's website

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

true but I don't live with my desktop p.c always on.....perhaps in time...Newstalk was originaly just Dublin....in any event radio seems to slow this machine down to slower than snail pace..when I listen to German radio my p.c. enters paralysis apart from the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'd like to hear a show once a week at like 8pm to 10pm playing IDM, ambient, experimental music/interviews from established gay/str8 artists and other Irish & international artists and advertise it as much as possible too! I Know Lyricfm do a show like this but its on at like 12 or 1am, way to late

No to Kylie Abba Madonna etc!!!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Just don't play anything that makes us look like stereotypical queens, and don't turn it into a propaganda station either. A decent debate is needed.

Advertisement