Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pub opening hours?

Options
  • 21-05-2010 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

theres some rugby matches coming up soon with ireland playing australia and new zealand, and there on at 8ish in the morning.

I was wondering what are the laws regarding how early you can serve drink in a pub or hotel?

if i stayed in a hotel could i drink at the residents bar?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The pubs are not allowed open, the hotel can, if they want. You would have to contact the hotel to see if they would be open. Some people seem to think pubs are legally obliged to open at certain hours, they can open/close whenever they want, loads of bars close earlier than the legal requirement on thursday nights.

Though I wonder why it is so important to be drinking at 8 in the morning while watching a match?, seeking out a hotel which is open and paying for a room seems extreme when you could drink at home if you really feel the need for booze...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't there a few early bars around the country (not hotel), there usually close to the docks, it's ages since I went looking for one.

The WindJammer on Townsend street is one I think, not sure what time it's open, but I've a very vague memory of been there early one morning.

Isn't there a few early bars around the country (not hotel), there usually close to the docks, it's ages since I went looking for one.
    Ah yes, forgot all about those, "early houses". I think they would be more likely to have other people watching a match at that hour too, I expect most hotels would be dead and you would be better off at home with mates.

I think there was one or 2 on capel street.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055763798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

thanks for the replys, I probably should have pointed out that the matches are on sky sports which me and me mates don't have.

theres a hotel 5 mins from my house so i prob head there with the lads but was just wondering if i could enjoy a pint while watching.

so is it only the residents bar that can legally serve drink, or could the general customer bar be open? i kinda know the owner, so could prob get him to open if a few went.

wonton wrote: »
    matches are on sky sports which me and me mates don't have
    ah right, makes sense so.

Technically you do have to be a resident, I know some mates of mine were watching the game on good friday in the local hotel, like you one of them knew the owner, who handed out keys to some of them in case it was raided!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

wonton wrote: »
    thanks for the replys, I probably should have pointed out that the matches are on sky sports which me and me mates don't have..

Another option is if a local rugby club may open their clubhouse for the games. If you know of one, ask a club member if they hear of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Earliest a pub can serve alcohol is 12pm. Nothing stopping them opening any earlier though.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Degag wrote: »
    Earliest a pub can serve alcohol is 12pm. Nothing stopping them opening any earlier though.
    That's only on a Sunday. During the week it's 10:30 unless they've an early house license.

Early houses I know of are The Windjammer, Neds of Townsend Street, Slattery's, The Boar's Head, P McCormack & Sons (although it looked like it had closed down last time I passed it) and Market Hacienda bar.

Of those, I suspect Slattery's is your best bet and as a bonus they do a decent breakfast as well.

Advertisement