Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHEG text on RTE DTT / Philips PFL 8404 tv.

Options
  • 21-05-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Complete noob to this...

But have recently purchased a Philips PFL8404 tv from the good people in The Philips Shop.

Am picking up the RTE test broadcasts no problem but when I press the teletext / mheg button I just see standard teletext. Should I be seeing something different?

-ZB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did you install the TV with the Ireland or UK setting?

My brother also purchased a Philips TV (model ?, could be the same model as yours) from there, no MHEG-5 text in the Ireland setting, it is there in the UK setting. Installing with the UK setting appears to have no downside that I can see, VHF tuning is there if required unlike the Sony models.

Also as TV3 is not yet available via DTT you can slot analogue TV3 between RTÉ2 DTT and RTÉNL1/TG4 DTT if you wish. Did this on my brother's TV last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Do a complete reinstall of channels using the UK settings and not alone will you get the proper text but also the now and next guide and the full 7 day EPG.

Judging by the changelog for software updates on the Philips site, they will write software for Ireland to get everything to work correctly using Ireland settings, at some stage in the future once the service has been officially launched.

Here is an example from the PFL5604 Changelog:
    Software history
    Main modifications
    Each release contains:
     All solutions identified in earlier versions
     Improved connectivity to improve compatibility with other external devices
     As Philips pursuits to continuously improve their products, it is possible that the
    channels/preset list is affected after upgrading to a newer software version. Therefore we
    recommend reinstallation of channels/presets after completing the software upgrade
    procedure.
    Q5431_0. 26.73.0
     TV switched off and on by itself when viewing pay channels/services with a Conditional
    Access Module (CAM) inserted. (Only applicable to country, Netherland)
     Hungarian language option cannot be selected on the HDMI CEC device language menu
    with the TV remote control.
    Q5431_0. 26.72.0
     Video freeze or macro blocks observed on HD digital broadcast at the interval of 10-12
    minutes.
    Q5431_0. 26.70.0
     Error message appear on screen when viewing pay channels/services with a Conditional
    Access Module (CAM) inserted.
    Q5431_0. 26.69.0
     TV switched off by itself after 2 hrs of operation.
     All user settings (e.g. delta volume) are lost after channel installation/update.
     TV displays a message „Scrambled program‟ when switching from Free-To-Air (FTA)
    channel to a pay channel.
    Q5431_0. 26.66.0
     When „EasyLink‟ feature is switched off in the TV menu, the channel number or name
    OSDs will not be displayed or display as „undefined format‟ when switching to external
    inputs or TV channels.
     Channel preset/position are shifted by +1 after performing cable installation with UPC
    network. (Only applicable to country, Netherland)
    Q5431_0. 26.58.5
     TV does not work with other HDMI CEC compliant devices.
     TV does not store all the channels from UPC service provider. (Only applicable to country,
    Netherland)
     Implementation of a new feature, Scenea. It allows you to use your TV as a photoframe.
    Q5431_0. 26.38.22
     Only one analogue channel is stored after performing digital cable (DVB-C) installation.
    (Only applicable to country, Netherland)
     Micro-block or mosaics appear on channels.
    Q5431_0. 26.38.21
     Digital cable services are stored in the wrong preset/position and analogue cable channels
    are not present in the channel list.
     Analogue cable channels are stored in the wrong preset/position in the channel list, after
    you have stored as new channel during analogue manual installation.
     Increase the maximum number of cable services stored in the TV memory from 500 to 700.
    Q5431_0. 26.38.17
     Software is released for production purposes only - no software upgrade is required by the
    consumer.
    Q5431_0. 26.38.14
     Enable digital cable (DVB-C) functionality for Switzerland and Austria countries.
     To disable Now and Next program banner after channel change. This is a new EPG
    (Electronic Programme Guide) requirement.
    Q5431_0. 26.33.17
     Software is released for production purposes only - no software upgrade is required by the
    consumer.
    Q5431_0. 26.33.15
     A vertical green line appears on the left side of the screen in “Unscale” picture format
    through HDMI connection.
     Video drop-out when you change channel on the Philips/Pace set-top-box through HDMI
    connection.
     The radio channel background disappeared with a message “Video not supported”
    displayed when you change the radio channels.
    Q5431_0. 26.33.9
     TV cannot store the channels from cable service provider, Kabel Baden-Wurttemberg.(Only
    applicable to country, Germany)
     TV does not display the correct resolution for some PC formats and is forced to the
    640x480 resolution.
     While playing a media file in the root directory of the USB memory device, the Program +/-
    button does not allowed you to select another media file.
     Unable to enter the network frequency for DVB-C installation.(Only applicable to country,
    Netherlands)
     To preset/position analog channels from preset number 2001 onwards after channel
    installation.(Only applicable to country, Netherlands)
     Channel disappeared from the original preset position and shifted to a preset number
    16384 after installation update.(Only applicable to country, Lithuania, Czech Rep or Italy)
    Q5431_0. 26.29.5
     No channels found after auto-installation.(Only applicable to country, Ukraine & Bulgaria)
     Riks TV certification. (Only applicable to country, Norway)
    Q5431_0.26.24.8
     Channels TF1, France2 and M6 disappeared from the preset list after installation update.
    (Only applicable to country, France)
    Q5431_0.26.24.4
     Incorrect program information displayed.
     Flashing green or blank screen when the colour range on the external device is changed.
    Q5431_0.26.19.4
     Unable to playback MPEG4 files from USB flash device.
    Q5431_0.26.19.2
     Initial production software

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thanks folks,

Did the re-install using UK and not only am I getting the fancy teletext / MHEG-5 stuff but I'm now getting the RTE NL1 and NL2 also - *and* they're properly named etc. EPG guide is working great too.

I had been getting the RTE NL1 station (the test card) but couldn't get the NL2 test one that's broadcasting the test card in high def...

Thanks again! Come one Philips - get your act together re Ireland....

A question regarding the epg, on my brother's tv the now and next info on the info popup displays correctly - correct time and programme info (DVB-SI), but in the epg we cannot get the guide to display the correct time with the correct info on the Irish DTT channels, MHEG problem I guess in UK setting. I personally prefer the Sony DVB-SI epg.

Does your epg display the correct time with the correct programme info?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

The times being correct are to do with the RTENL stream having never been updated once the clocks went forward.

I personaly find the whole EPG on these models terrible, its the only drawback. I have an old Samsung CRT which displays a much better EPG but its only MPEG2 so no picture!

• Advertisement

I personaly find the whole EPG on these models terrible, its the only drawback. I have an old Samsung CRT which displays a much better EPG but its only MPEG2 so no picture!

I agree terrible epg.

Advertisement