Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Lupins in a grass bank

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Surrounding my garden is about 150 metres of a 6ft grassy bank. I've got about 25 lupin plants about 12" high in small pots & thought I would put these in or at the front of the bank just to add some colour.

I don't want to put them direct in the ground as I think weeds would choke them so what is my best solution?

I thought of using 12" pots but this could be quite costly unless any one knows where I could get some cheap containers or if any one has got any other ideas.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

your biggest prob is going to be slugs, they love them, especially the roots in early spring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're bastards for attracting aphids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes that's why I thought pots might be better, able to control things especially weeds a bit better.

I've put eggshells in pots already to try and eliminate slugs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they do get established, a 12inch pot isn't that big, lupins can make pretty big plants. Also 25 plants will not go far in 150 m of border. I would suggest making patches of maybe 4 or 5 plants at intervals (not in pots), clear the weeds and keep them clear until the plants are established.

If they flourish (and my experience is they either grow like mad, or fade away), you can split the clumps in a couple of years and make some more patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Lupins like moisture and like to grow in moist but free draining soil and a slope tends to dry out quicker than flat land since the water drains away faster. So it should be free draining, but if it's in full sun, it might dry out quickly so you will need to keep it moist.
    Put up a pic, it would be nice to see the site and the lupins.
    Cheers
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭pavb2

Here are some pictures the bank is at the bottom end of the garden it's actually about 25 metres but I may also do the sides again just to put a bit of colour in.

Throwing the idea out I had thought of maybe getting the digger in and landscaping the garden, instead of the slope have may be 3 different levels with steps going down bit unsure would welcome any ideas.

Thanks
    Image0028.jpg Looking down

Image0029.jpgLooking down

Image0030.jpgLooking up

Advertisement