Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Translate

Options
  • 21-05-2010 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Google Translate from Irish to English is a little... limited. I'll upload a screenshot if this form lets me, and then add the correct translation below.

Dash it! You can only add pictures from an existing website. Here - I'll put in the passage, below, then the translation Google makes, then my own translation.

I'm wondering if there's any way one can add words to Google's lexicon - it seems to be missing a few here.

(Original): Ag comhdáil Sinn Féin tógadh oifigig agus Coiste nua. Ní raibh Cathal
    ina iarrthóir i gcomhair aon cheann de na postanna mar oifigigh, ach
    sa ghuthaíocht i gcomhair bhaill an choiste fuair sé an dara háit.
    Faighimid léargas maith ar an meas a bhí ag na teachtaí ar na
    pearsanna éagsúla ón nguthaíocht a rinneadh.

(Google Translate): Sinn Féin has raised Conference Committee officials and new. Charles was not
    a candidate for any of the positions as officers, but
    in ghuthaíocht for committee members received the runner.
    We get a good overview of the respect held by the delegates on the
    nguthaíocht different personalities from Washington.

(My translation): At the Sinn Fein conference new officers and committee were elected. Cathal was not standing for any of the officer posts, but in the vote for the committee he got the second place.
    We get a good idea of the respect the delegates had for the various
    people from their votes.

Incidentally, the first translation I got from Google Translate was completely different - it didn't recognise Coiste as 'committee', for instance. Going out of the page and opening it again introduced 'committee', 'votes' and (bizarrely) 'Washington'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah, Google translate has always been a bit dodgy.
    I never really use it, & if I do, it's only for very short sentences or even just individual words to get a vague idea of the meaning.
    It sometimes helps I suppose, when your in a rush & can't find a dictionary. Although, I think the fact that you got "Washington" does highlight how limited it is.:)

Haven't a clue about adding words to its lexicon though, but it would be great if it's possible.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

it does a decent job.

it does a much better job than it does of dutch and as good a job as french (i translated bits from a history book that insisted on quoting in the original language).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

Google Translate from Irish to English is a little... limited.

I'm wondering if there's any way one can add words to Google's lexicon - it seems to be missing a few here.

(Original): Ag comhdáil Sinn Féin tógadh oifigig agus Coiste nua. Ní raibh Cathal
    ina iarrthóir i gcomhair aon cheann de na postanna mar oifigigh, ach
    sa ghuthaíocht i gcomhair bhaill an choiste fuair sé an dara háit.
    pearsanna éagsúla ón nguthaíocht a rinneadh.

(Google Translate): Sinn Féin has raised Conference Committee officials and new. Charles was not
    a candidate for any of the positions as officers, but
    in ghuthaíocht for committee members received the runner.
    We get a good overview of the respect held by the delegates on the
    nguthaíocht different personalities from Washington.

(My translation): At the Sinn Fein conference new officers and committee were elected. Cathal was not standing for any of the officer posts, but in the vote for the committee he got the second place.
    We get a good idea of the respect the delegates had for the various
    people from their votes.

Incidentally, the first translation I got from Google Translate was completely different - it didn't recognise Coiste as 'committee', for instance. Going out of the page and opening it again introduced 'committee', 'votes' and (bizarrely) 'Washington'.

Thank you for telling us of the possibility of Google translating Irish to English. Im sure it will be usefull to many people including me.
    Can I suggest that you install the Irish language dictionary for Firefox? It underlines misspellt words in red. When you input your text there with Irish language spellchecking you will see that comhdáil and oifigig are missspellt. Also tógadh means was built not was elected

if you enter
    Ag comhdháil Sinn Féin toghadh oifigigh agus Coiste nua.

you get
    Sinn Fein conference elected new officers and Committee.

Also if you enter
    pearsana éagsúla ón cinneadh a rinneadh.

You get
    We get a good overview of the respect held by the delegates of
    various personalities from the decision made.

guthaíocht is obviouly a new one on Google (and myself) but its not a bad attempt. Its a pity it doesn't tell you when it doesnt inderstand a word. There isnt much point in throwing up gobledegook when your trying to translate something.

Thank you very much again!

Seán Mac Suibhne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The funny thing, though, Sean, is that I got two different translations when I put the translation in twice, having rebooted in between.

The passage I entered is from a biography of Cathal Brua by Ó Dochartaigh (available in Dublin City Library, very good). Its Irish is old-fashioned and rather more complex than that commonly spoken today.

The use of 'tógadh' for 'elected', for instance, has today fallen into desuetude, but remains with us in the Irish word for an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Quality; Má tá tú ag iarraidh pictiúir a chur suas, is féidir ias a ias-loadáil suas chuig boards.ie faoi:

User CP>Pictures and Albums>

Ansin is féidir an pictiúir a úsáid!

Freisin is féidir an áis Google.translate a feabhsú nuair a feiceann tú aistriúcháin, brú an chnapa ar deis, agus is féidir aistriúcháin níos fearr a chur isteach!

Ó taobh an Gaeilge de, is fearr liom an focal guthaíocht. Ní ceart go mbeidh muid ag úsáid focal le 'v'... Go bunúsach is ag chur do guth amach ansin atá i gceist i togháin!

• Advertisement

Go raibh míle maith agat, a Chliste - an-áisiúil!

Ach níl an User CP ag workáil liom:

pictúr le nasc:

album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342

agus an nasc féin:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342

Ach níl an User CP ag workáil liom:

pictúr le nasc:
    [[I]I[/I]MG]http://boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342[/IMG]

agus an nasc féin:
    [url]http://boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342[/url]

An fadhb ansin ná go bhfuil tú ag naisciú chuig leathanach in ionad an pictiúir, féach ar an nasc seo: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342 -> níl ach an pitiúir ann, anois breathnaigh:

picture.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342

Hmm. Ní thuigim. Seo 'pictureid' leis na '/img' rudaí:

album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6343

agus gan iad:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6343

Agus arís, le veirsiún eile den phictúir:

album.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6344

(Tá an icon beag thuas coisiúil le litir phoist á úsáid agam.)

• Advertisement

Brón orm, níor léirigh mé cad a rinne mé go soiléir.

Féach ar an Nasc seo (ie brú isteach ann!) http://boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6343

Is pictiúir AMHÁIN atá isteach san nasc sin, níl leathanach le Focal, agus nascanna eile!
    [B]Do Cód:[/B] [I][I[/I]MG]http://boards.ie/vbulletin/[COLOR="SeaGreen"]album.php[/COLOR]?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342[/IMG]

[B]Mo Cód:[/B] [I][[/I]IMG]http://boards.ie/vbulletin/[COLOR="Red"]picture.php[/COLOR]?albumid=1221&pictureid=6342[/IMG]

Is é sin chun rá (as Béarla chun an rud atáim ag rá a soiléiriú!) You need to link to a picture, not a page with a picture for the link to work... In fact if you go into one of your own pictures here, it gives you the code to use under the picture - see "BB Code"

Mmm, tuigim, bféidir...

picture.php?albumid=1221&pictureid=6344

Advertisement