Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FavreWatch

Options
  • 21-05-2010 8:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

It begins!!! Yes, I'm going there!

Apparently Favre says he'll definitely return to the NFL if Southern Miss Baseball team reach the College World Series.

Personally, I think if he's saying stuff like this, he's likely to return, even if it was just banter. the guy knows how to play the press like a piano.
    I don't believe for a minute this guy is gonna quit while coming off a season like the last one either.
    HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Brett Favre says he still isn't sure what he's doing next season, but he may have given some indication after visiting with the Southern Miss baseball team.

The Minnesota Vikings quarterback told the Golden Eagles on Thursday morning that if they can make it back to the College World Series for the second straight year, he will return for one more season in the NFL.

Favre has left fans hanging since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC Championship game. He signed a two-year contract with the Vikings before last season. Coach Brad Childress hasn't talked with Favre recently except by text message.

Southern Miss players have a lot of work to do if they want to force Favre into action. They are 30-20 and need wins to earn a postseason invitation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

That's Favre, leaving the door open and keeping people guessing...

My guess is we will see him suited up, just not sure where...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Considering he was a play away from a super bowl last season, why shouldn't he come back, he can clearly still play!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Ugh. I hate 'Favre Watch'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He had surgery on the ankle yesterday morning so he is coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

No 4 is the man....... That is all. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If he comes back Peppers will break him if McKinnie is defending him again... That is all!

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    If he comes back Peppers will break him if McKinnie is defending him again... That is all!

How many Linebackers and Ends have said that and Failed to be fair. That is all...........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've always like Brett Favre, I'm a fan actually but I gotta say that this retirement lark thing is annoying. We all know he is going to play this season and this thing of saying he hasn't made a decision is a bit pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

He's earned the right to keep his mouth shut about it and really think hard if that is what he wants todo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

He's earned the right to keep his mouth shut about it and really think hard if that is what he wants todo.
    As has been said for the last few years now - I cant see favre not playing next year..

• Advertisement

Who cares if he is being a spoiled brat about the whole retirement thing. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the whole point of Professional Sports to entertain the regular Joe and make money for the Fat Cats? Isn't Favre continuously making headlines and entertaining us? At this point it is all a game to him and it seems like he enjoys fooking with people for the sh1ts and giggles and to be honest if I was in his shoes I would do the same thing. Its sad that it bothers people so much really. I bet the Vikings actually do know what Favre is thinking. And if they don't they will already have a plan b in place just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've always like Brett Favre, I'm a fan actually but I gotta say that this retirement lark thing is annoying. We all know he is going to play this season and this thing of saying he hasn't made a decision is a bit pathetic.

Just to be fair here, Favre has had very little in the way of media bullsh!t this season. He hasn't been hmming and hawwing like he has in past seasons: his first retirement came at a natural ending (and he fought it), his second came at the end of a disaster few games (when men much younger may have questioned their future). The guy said after the SB -- apparently -- that he'd retire, but he'd just been abused by the Saints (illegally, in my book. Call it sour grapes, but I said that before the Colts game too).

He's basically kept a low profile since, and the first peep was my OP, above; the next day he gets surgery. I think it's pretty obvious (as you yourself said) that he's coming back.

The guy can't do a full training camp. Even if he'd said he was coming back last february, you can't expect the guy to get stuck in, like the 20-(or even 30-)somethings.

Plus he can't actually make a decision until he knows if this surgery will work. Not aimed just at you eagle eye, and yeah, my thread title was tongue-in-cheek, but give the guy a break, i reckon.

Who cares if he is being a spoiled brat about the whole retirement thing. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the whole point of Professional Sports to entertain the regular Joe and make money for the Fat Cats? Isn't Favre continuously making headlines and entertaining us? At this point it is all a game to him and it seems like he enjoys fooking with people for the sh1ts and giggles and to be honest if I was in his shoes I would do the same thing. Its sad that it bothers people so much really. I bet the Vikings actually do know what Favre is thinking. And if they don't they will already have a plan b in place just in case.

As I said, the only doubt could be the surgery, and the case of a doctor saying "no chance, Brett". But the Vikes would have drafted either Clausen or McCoy, had they been certain Brett wasn't returning.
    "
    @ Oatsey, lol at the Bears confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

he'll be back after training camp

• Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

davyjose wrote: »
    @ Oatsey, lol at the Bears confidence.

He destroyed their line last year, why wouldn't I be confident he will do it again? :confused:

I'm not saying we are going to win the division ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

He destroyed their line last year, why wouldn't I be confident he will do it again? :confused:

A line one year older too. News that Childers wanted to pull Farve in that Panthers game should have Peppers licking his lips although I don't know if he cares about that sort of stuff!

No D hinges on one player. Simple as. Peppers didn't do it alone that game, Carolina did. And a lot of Defensive greats look more ordinary when they move teams (Look at Haynesworth).

But my guess is, the Vikes will sneak them in Chicago, and hammer them in Minneapolis.

davyjose wrote: »
    No D hinges on one player. Simple as. Peppers didn't do it alone that game, Carolina did. And a lot of Defensive greats look more ordinary when they move teams (Look at Haynesworth).

But my guess is, the Vikes will sneak them in Chicago, and hammer them in Minneapolis.

They couldn't do it in Soldier Field last year with home field advantage on the line. The Bears had no Urlacher. They have to far improved this year -they have improved on defense (Urlacher, Peppers and Chris Harris are huge improvements at starters). They now have Taylor and although their WR are dodgy but I think they can improve (I mean they have insisted they don't need help there for 2 years and believe in the talent to improve when viable options were there).

This is a Bears team that ran the likes of GB and Atlanta very very close (they got whooped by a couple of teams but were competative from what I saw in most games).

The Vikes have lost a lot this year in personnel and age.

GB should win that division, reckon Bears and Vikes will battle it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

themont85 wrote: »
    They couldn't do it in Soldier Field last year with home field advantage on the line. The Bears had no Urlacher. They have to far improved this year -they have improved on defense (Urlacher, Peppers and Chris Harris are huge improvements at starters). They now have Taylor and although their WR are dodgy but I think they can improve (I mean they have insisted they don't need help there for 2 years and believe in the talent to improve when viable options were there).

This is a Bears team that ran the likes of GB and Atlanta very very close (they got whooped by a couple of teams but were competative from what I saw in most games).

The Vikes have lost a lot this year in personnel and age.

GB should win that division, reckon Bears and Vikes will battle it out.

Although this is all jsut opinion, my opinion is that your opinion is bollocks :D.

I think if favre comes back the viks have a legit chance at the superbowl, they'll take their division with the pack a relatively close second. Then unless the lions rookies come out all guns blazing the bears have secured 3rd place for at least one more year.

Although this is all jsut opinion, my opinion is that your opinion is bollocks :D.

I think if favre comes back the viks have a legit chance at the superbowl, they'll take their division with the pack a relatively close second. Then unless the lions rookies come out all guns blazing the bears have secured 3rd place for at least one more year.

Fair enough but their line showed it has major issues last year at various points and got Farve killed in a couple of games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement