Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping commercial panels to glass

Options
  • 21-05-2010 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I'm going to look at a Landcruiser tomorrow to replace my Hilux Surf. It has the spec I'm after and the price is good. Only one problem for me though. It's an original Irish commercial.
    Now for safety and aesthetic purposes, I want to change the opaque panels in the rear and the rear doors back to glass. Much prefer seeing whats around me rather than guessing and I think it would look at lot better with tinted glass rather than the body coloured panels.

I was thinking of picking up a few doors from a breakers and swapping over all the bits. So that should sort the doors. But what about the rear panels. Would it be possible to remove the panel and fit the glass?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

maybe contact someone that professionally commercializes jeeps. id say they might have spare bits or could put you in contact with someone who will sell their bits after gettin there jeep commercialized?

other than that i suppose breakers yard might have bits!

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Good idea Brembo. Will try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

will she not fail a doe if the windows aren't properly panelled off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Nah, that is only for the customs.

No, you can have glass in there. My last two 4x4's had tinted glass instead of opaque panels. No problems with the test (in 4 or 5 different test centers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

No, you can have glass in there. My last two 4x4's had tinted glass instead of opaque panels. No problems with the test (in 4 or 5 different test centers).

would you need to notify your insurance company to make sure your covered for having glass instead of the panels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blue eyes 1974

ring par fit or someone like them about your windows you will need to get the jeep weighted again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

there's no window rules in the DOE, it's totally a VRT thing.

if you convert a passenger to commercial after it's been VRTd you dont need to panel the windows at all.

Had a look at that 'cruiser at the weekend. Rough enough, so I didn't buy. But I got a good look at the panels.
    They are well bonded in. I reckon it would be difficult to remove the sealer and get it back to a good factory finish with glass.

I think I'll start looking for a passenger version and convert it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Had a look at that 'cruiser at the weekend. Rough enough, so I didn't buy. But I got a good look at the panels.
    They are well bonded in. I reckon it would be difficult to remove the sealer and get it back to a good factory finish with glass.

I think I'll start looking for a passenger version and convert it myself.

Best job, go up north... Find a passenger yok which hasnt been abused! Usually cheaper too.

• Advertisement

Theanswers wrote: »
    Best job, go up north... Find a passenger yok which hasnt been abused! Usually cheaper too.

That's the plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

or look for a UK Cruiser that's already been converted/taxed, they generally leave the windows in, it's only Toyota Ireland that use composite panels and spray them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Another option if windows are a must would be to cut the panels, and install windows used in camper vans etc. The ones with the rubber grommet around them.

It won't look as nice, but may be a cheaper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I've done this to the rear doors only. Paid €300.00 for tinted windows, rubbers, runners etc from a breaker. Took an age to get the first panel out, not as long with the second. Window motors are still in the doors and am very pleased.

Advertisement