Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Why the Xbox is better than the Xbox 360"

Options
  • 21-05-2010 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If only the Xbox had more than 5 exclusives worth playing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,690 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shame they didn't go ahead and make it compatible with Dreamcast games. Might be a reason to own one then, other than as an emu box.

Although saying that, I really want to get one just to play PD: Orta :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's well worth it for PDS. And you can get them for pennys these days. Ninja Gaiden is excellent on it and it has the best version of Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast. Phantom Dust is supposedly brilliant. And if you are crazy, get yourself some Steel Battalion!

Ninja Gaiden and Outrun are indeed excellent. I don't have a list of Xbox Exclusives handy but I'm pretty sure there were more than 5 worth playing. but meh whatever.

Name them! Halo doesn't count because it sucks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If only the Xbox had more than 5 exclusives worth playing on it.

Xbox only needs 1 exclusive.

Halo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

tbh i think the 3 last gen consoles are much better than their current gen iterations,and personally i think there the best 3 consoles ever, including the xbox even though its main uses for me were homebrew related.

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    tbh i think the 3 last gen consoles are much better than their current gen iterations,and personally i think there the best 3 consoles ever, including the xbox even though its main uses for me were homebrew related.

You had me listening up until that point :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

well maybe not the best 3 but gamecube and ps2 are definitely up there in my top 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Sorry, I didn't intend on this thread turning into a bitching contest about each other's favourite consoles. I just thought the article was a bit of a "laff"....

Guess not...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 360 could well be this gens PS2, the console with the most cheap preowned games as well as some pretty good exclusives to boot, rather than the rather poor offerings on the PS3.
    The Xbox made a little go a long way, but did have a series of great exclusives,
    PGR/2,
    Halo/2 (behave retro!),
    Strangers Wrath,
    Republic Commando (best Star Wars game of that gen, maybe best Star Wars game I've played),
    Panzer Dragoon Orta,
    Steel Battalion,
    Outrun C2C,
    Crimson Skies,
    Forza,
    and they're just the one's off of the top of my head.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Sorry, I didn't intend on this thread turning into a bitching contest about each other's favourite consoles. I just thought the article was a bit of a "laff"....

Guess not...

I don't see any bitching :confused::confused::confused:

But if you want bitching...

SEGA MEGADRIVE AM BESTEST! ALL UR CONSOLES IS FAILS, NOOBS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It really should be said that any comparison of major consoles is largely coloured more by a person's expriences and the time of their life they exprienced that console - the NES and the SNES in particular are consoles that house many indelible memories of being a little kid and playing the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Metroid (to name two highly obvious ones) and I'm aware enough to know any time I talk about those consoles, and by extension their games, it's coloured by those childhood memories. As we grow older -most- of us become far more agnostic on consoles than we were when we where kids and were usually forced to plant our flag in one console or another.

Indeed I'd argue there's a cooling off peroid before we can really judge to any great degree any console's status in history - I've still got some battle fatigue from all the PS2 games I played and indeed when I was playing those games I had a similar feeling about PS1 games.

We won't fully appreciate what we've got right now untill it's long past the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Syferus wrote: »
    It really should be said that any comparison of major consoles is largely coloured more by a person's expriences and the time of their life they exprienced that console - the NES and the SNES in particular are consoles that house many indelible memories of being a little kid and playing the likes of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Metroid (to name two highly obvious ones) and I'm aware enough to know any time I talk about those consoles, and by extension their games, it's coloured by those childhood memories. As we grow older -most- of us become far more agnostic on consoles than we were when we where kids and were usually forced to plant our flag in one console or another.

Indeed I'd argue there's a cooling off peroid before we can really judge to any great degree any console's status in history - I've still got some battle fatigue from all the PS2 games I played and indeed when I was playing those games I had a similar feeling about PS1 games.

We won't fully appreciate what we've got right now untill it's long past the moment.

Hmmm,
    I'm all about the games really, it doesn't matter what format it is, if it's a good game I'll find the means to get playing it, even if it means investing in a new console.
    That said, recent gaming history, the last 20 years or so, really has shown up some winners, some close but no cigars and some serious losers.
    Snes, Megadrive, PS, all winners, from 90 to 2000 there must not have been too many houses without one or the other of those three in situ beneath a tv.
    That said there were the also rans, the Saturn, the N64, consoles that didn't sell quite as well but were still profit makers and good formats for some good games, then there are the losers, Jaguars, CD32s, 3DOs, consoles that no one wanted, that had good games in single digits and died an early death :(

Ho hum.

Really, only sad loser fanboys and school kids get fixated on a format as "The Best EVER", gamers are now quite age diverse and so this attitude has very much abated, even among new gamers who happen to be in there 30's or 40's.
    If the game they want appears on another format, they'll trade or sell on to get the console they want, they have the means to pay for it, don't have to beg a parent or write a letter to Santa so they are less attached to brand than to game.

Of course, the nostalgia factor has been much mentioned on these forums, the love we all have for Nintendos opus', Metroid, Zelda, Mario, they all make a certain type of gamer get all misty eyed.
    Sega too, for Sonic 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona, Panzer Dragoon, Shadow the Hedgehog (only kidding).

Perhaps future generations, or rather the one that is hitting 20 now, will have a similar view of the 360, thinking fondly of PGR4, Forza 3, Halo 3.

Advertisement