Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like him but don't want to ruin a friendship

Options
  • 20-05-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Right, Sorry for rambling on here but I need to get this off my chest and doesn't have one to talk to at the moment.

Last year I had to work with a really nice fella for a week, we never met before but got on like a house on fire, we became friends and kept in touch in the past few months. I really like him and he is more than just a friend for me.
    I know he likes me but I have no idea if this is more than just friendship for him.

We have a strange work environment, you work weekwise with different people and it keeps changing every week so never worked with him again since last year.
    One of these mates from work is a good friend of him and he said the other day "oh x thinks you are very very nice" and there was also another comment. I asked him what he meant but he pretends he forgot what he said. Knowing that person he could easily taken the piss. But other people also made some comments and they seemed to know that we kept in touch.
    I know that my friend also tried to arrange another week of work with me but unfortunately things got changed again.
    We bumped into each other the other day in town and some other person we both know joined us and he didn't look to pleased with that. It seems we never really get the chance to get together face to face, again work is the main reason.

I know one thing for sure, he is no messer, he is a good guy and don't want to lose a friend. i am not going to ask him or make a move here in case i am wrong. It is just so frustrating. Any ideas how to find out without making me look like an idiot and without asking him straight out, a mind reader would be handy by the way...

Anyway sorry for rambling here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Right, Sorry for rambling on here but I need to get this off my chest and doesn't have one to talk to at the moment.

Last year I had to work with a really nice fella for a week, we never met before but got on like a house on fire, we became friends and kept in touch in the past few months. I really like him and he is more than just a friend for me.
    I know he likes me but I have no idea if this is more than just friendship for him.

We have a strange work environment, you work weekwise with different people and it keeps changing every week so never worked with him again since last year.
    One of these mates from work is a good friend of him and he said the other day "oh x thinks you are very very nice" and there was also another comment. I asked him what he meant but he pretends he forgot what he said. Knowing that person he could easily taken the piss. But other people also made some comments and they seemed to know that we kept in touch.
    I know that my friend also tried to arrange another week of work with me but unfortunately things got changed again.
    We bumped into each other the other day in town and some other person we both know joined us and he didn't look to pleased with that. It seems we never really get the chance to get together face to face, again work is the main reason.

I know one thing for sure, he is no messer, he is a good guy and don't want to lose a friend. i am not going to ask him or make a move here in case i am wrong. It is just so frustrating. Any ideas how to find out without making me look like an idiot and without asking him straight out, a mind reader would be handy by the way...

Anyway sorry for rambling here.

OK, he clearly likes you, ring him up and ask him to go for a drink with you, then let him make the move. The least you could do it organise a bit of time for you two to be alone. What's the harm.

When out on the drink, flirt with him, give him signals that you are interested and you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the opposite to the first reply.....About 2 years ago I was in the same situation (me being the guy) I liked a girl, she liked me......we were with each other a few times and then decided to stop cause of our friendship...a few times in the few months following she was giving signals, but I didnt respond knowing/fearing that the whole friends thing would be brought up the next day, and I didnt want my emotions going hay wire.

I wish back at the time she would have said what she felt rather than expecting me 2 make the move.......we are still good mates today, so a friendship can recover from a setback like ye being together and it not working out

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Arrange time alone, it's the only way for things to move forward if they're going to. Make up an excuse if you want, a spare ticket to something etc.

Advertisement