Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I stop worrying? aaaahhh!

Options
  • 20-05-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

okay basically I'm going daft out of mind with worry because I'm hoping to begin work in another country in September . I've been unemployed for a year and haven't done this specific type of work in five years. I don't think I'm capable of doing it, even though it's what I'm trained to do. My stomach is in a constant knot, loss of appetite and I cry in random public places like on the Luas or walking down the street. The reason- I REALLY don't think I'm able to pull through this-fear!
    My brain is on overdrive!!!! Has anyone any tips on how to distract my brain from worry or techniques just to worry about something when the time comes..........any comments would be great...thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Just as a suggestion can you do some volunteering in this line of work until you go in September? It might give you a chance to brush up on the skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

hello dreamer...thanks for the reply.yeah i'm doing volunteer work at the mo but not in the exact role I will be doing which is secondary teaching. i dunno i'm all over the shop, though i do realise how lucky i am, these positive thoughts come everyday for a spell but then i get stressed again...just one of those things i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

OP I´m living and working in Spain with only an online TEFL course under my belt (a book on grammar would have done the same thing). I´m blagging it big style but I teach bankers, kids and I give private classes to professionals...not an easy group to convince but so far so good. I had absolutely NO experience teaching but I´m learning as I go along. I´m not equating teaching English with secondary school teaching but it´s teaching all the same. The worst thing you can do is over think it...you know once you get started and get stuck in there, you´ll be grand...I think it´s the fact that it´s such a while to wait before you move.... it´s prolonging the pain so to speak. Everyday I´m learning on the job (and the internet, other teachers and books)...you´ll be fine if you start preparing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

Get a copy of the relevant syllabi, the exam papers and the marking schemes if possible and make sure you can do all the questions on the exam papers!

Get copies of the books they use and find out what facilities they have eg internet access, data projectors etc. Check out if the method of delivering the syllabus is very defined or if you have a fair bit of leeway.

Also get a copy of their discipline policy and if you can, check out how it works day-to-day. Find out what kind of pupil cohort they have.

A phone call to one of the teachers there would be very helpful. The secretary might be able to set you up with a call with someone from your own department, or better still a meeting about a week before you start.

Then prepare lots of material to cover you for the first month or so - overheads, notes, presentations on your laptop, short videos, tests etc. Make sure you have plenty of exercises chosen and worked out on whatever you prepare.

If you get most of that under your belt, you'll be so confident on the material that you'll inspire confidence among the pupils and you'll be able to concentrate on class management. Be self-sufficient and co-operative with the other staff and you'll do fine there too.

It'll be exhausting for the first while - but then you'll love it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

thank you fizzical and dublin lady, all great ideas, i must get cracking, i know i'll love once I get stuck in, thanks for the support. .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement