Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone disconnects broadband

Options
  • 20-05-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

my panasonic cordless phone is disconnected my wired internet connection

i have the eircom black modem and have the dsl filter connected to phone

and i've tried different filters

how do i solve this? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Do I presume you have a filter on the phone and on the DSL seperately or are they the same connection? Can you describe the scenario in more detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

phone connects to eircom master via dsl filter

router connected to extension socket direct

I would always put a filter on the router too. Put the dual filter on the router and the single filter on the phone. It could also be a problem with how the secondary socket is wired off the master..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Yeah when i had eircom, I was giving 2 filters

1: had 2 connections, one for computer(little computer symbol) and phone(little phone picture).

2nd: had just phone.

I had to have the router plugged into the computer dsl filter. and all phones in the house plugged into a phone filter.

Something about seperating the higher and lower frequencies on the line.

I never seen one having a router plugged direct into the socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

FusionNet wrote: »
    I would always put a filter on the router too.
    WHY?

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    WHY?

Well firstly it means if you want to use it a phone socket you dont need to unplug the router. It also stops people thinking its a regular socket. Finally its good practice...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good practise my ass. There is no need to use a filter on a socket if the only thing plugged into that socket is a modem, except the good point you made about allowing a phone to be plugged in when needed without plugging out the router too. But normally that would be a very rare occasion in most houses that have more than one socket.

As for the OP's problem, it could be worthwhile plugging the phone into a filter as normal, but then plugging the filter into another filter before plugging that into the socket. Double-filtration in effect. It may make calls sound slightly softer but I wouldn't expect that to be really noticeable. Could be worth a try anyway.

I didnt say there was a technical reason I said its good practice. I dunno are you an IT/Telco installer but in my business thats what we do I couldnt give a rats about anyone else and their standards but in my standards thats good practice. As you may know a DSL can have higher voltage that will damage equipment so having a filter both for calls if needed is also handy as it tells someone this is a high voltage line..

As for the double filters I see no point. What Id do in your situation OP is get new filters and check all the wiring. If the second socket isnt wired off the master socket in the right place it can cause issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There isn't any standards reason for this, it's patently surplus to requirements. It's like someone running a backup of their computer every day because it's "good practice", even though nothing has changed on the computer since the day before and the computer wasn't used in the meantime.

Also, where did you get these higher voltages from?? Any DSL-enabled phone line is powered at 48V DC. The DSL component of that is about 20V RMS when it leaves the exchange and is far lower when it reaches a customer's premises.

An ISDN line works at higher voltages. I think up to 90V. But DSL isn't offered on those lines in this country. So DSL has nothing to do with high voltages.

Anyway, your advice is correct. But the point of doubling up on filters is that the filter acts as a low pass filter on the voice part of the phone line, blocking any higher frequencies. If one filter blocked any noise from the phone which could interfere with the upstream of a modem, then the attenuation of the unwanted signal would be doubled from e.g. 25 dB to 50dB. Simplistically, two filters are twice as good at stopping unwanted noise from the phone interfering with DSL frequencies.

Here is a discussion on this I found using google. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/629906.html

And some tech specs on a typical filter are contained in this document. www.accesscomms.com.au/specs/k2320spec.pdf

Well as I say its my good practice not the law and how do things on site no every engineer would do but I have my ways. Ive measured ISDN up to 120v and Ive measured DSL high than 48v too, Ive also been shocked by ISDN and you know all about it when you do. As for your comparing it to backing up a PC but sorry I dont agree, we install systems to back up everything regardless of change or not its a process and a system. I do a lot of things while installing that are surplus to requirment but I believe they are important, its my way and I cant apolgise for that.

With regard the double filters I dont doubt your knowledge on it but when Ive had the fault as described above I usually find a new filter on the phones, checking the wiring or getting line tests done have usually cured it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement