Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 oil change

Options
  • 20-05-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2004 audi A4 diesel, and it badly needs an oil change, but i want to do it myself (due to financial reasons!!:) ) The thing is, a number of years back, i changed the oil in my old 1993 VW passat, and ended up blowin the head shortly after! White smoke everywhere!! I dont want this to happen again, and am nervious because of it. My main question is, when i drain all the old oil out, remove the filter, do i need to fill the new filter with the new oil before i screw it on, or can i just screw on the filter with it empty? Also, there are a number or marks on my dipstick. How do i know which one to fill it to? Do i fill it to just the top of the cross-sectioned piece, or to the mark over this again?

Would miuch appreciate a little mechanical advice!!

thanks in advance ,
    Jo

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

No you dont have to fill the filter with oil,Just rub some oil on the rubber gasket to stop it leaking The top mark if the max oil mark.
    Fill it up to the mark,let it run for a minute then top up the oil to the mark again.(The level goes down as the filter fills up)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's a tech forum here. Volvoman has done a brilliant step by step guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭garyt43

thats pretty much it has pajero said......by smearing the oil around the filter just creates a seal......as edd chyna would say on wheeler dealers.......Job done!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9R86VuSsk dunno if the link will help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

EPM wrote: »
    There's a tech forum here. Volvoman has done a brilliant step by step guide.

thanks for that lads.so its to top most mark on the dipstick. but who is volvoman, and where is the guide?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

jocotty wrote: »
    thanks for that lads.so its to top most mark on the dipstick. but who is volvoman, and where is the guide?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055422868

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

pajero12 wrote: »

I tried that but it told me im banned:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

freighter wrote: »
    I tried that but it told me im banned:eek:

You need to request access via the sticky at the top of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i done one a few months ago on my 2004 honda civic. so easy. as said smear a bit of oil on the seal and i just put in the amount which the manual said to put in for oil (3.7 litres) and then ran it for 10 mins knocked it off and then filled up a small bit. Ran very smooth and noticed the changed instantly. was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,496 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Go to www.castrol.co.uk and it will tell you exactly how much oil your car takes, then simply add just this amount and check it after a drive to see it's still at the correct level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jocotty wrote: »
    a number of years back, i changed the oil in my old 1993 VW passat, and ended up blowin the head shortly after! White smoke everywhere!!

How on earth did you manage that?
    Either you but anti freeze or bleach into the engine instead of oil, you put way to much or too little in or (more likely) there was something going wrong with your engine to start with.
    Unless you're Jeremy Clarkson who destroys everything he touches, naturally he has a doctorate in engineering.

• Advertisement

How on earth did you manage that?
    Either you but anti freeze or bleach into the engine instead of oil, you put way to much or too little in or (more likely) there was something going wrong with your engine to start with.
    Unless you're Jeremy Clarkson who destroys everything he touches, naturally he has a doctorate in engineering.

As the crankshaft spins around, it can whip the oil into foam if the level is too high. This, in turn, can cause a drop in oil pressure and loss of lubrication to critical engine parts. Also, too much oil may cause leaks as the extra oil is forced past seals and gaskets. SO im going with your observation of to much oil:):) fuzzenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

garyt43 wrote: »
    As the crankshaft spins around, it can whip the oil into foam if the level is too high. This, in turn, can cause a drop in oil pressure and loss of lubrication to critical engine parts. Also, too much oil may cause leaks as the extra oil is forced past seals and gaskets. SO im going with your observation of to much oil:):) fuzzenstein

Foam??? You put fairy washing up liquid in your engine??

By putting too much oil in your engine you dont leave alot of room for the oil to circulate around the block causing wear to the engine.

BTW Volvoboy done that service guide not Volvoman! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I Was VB wrote: »

By putting too much oil in your engine you dont leave alot of room for the oil to circulate around the block causing wear to the engine.

Garyt43 is right - it does cause the formation of a foamy substance which can ruin your engine quite quickly. Its as bad to overfill as underfill.

Volvoman is the dude that used the wrong spec oil iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ostoplad

lads what do ye think is the best oil to put in a 130bhp A4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The new oil filter should be primed (filled) before fitting.

If it's not it can lead to damage through monetary oil starvation on first startup.

i think ul find im right.....go check it out if u like........Castrol Edge 5W30as regards oil

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The new oil filter should be primed (filled) before fitting.

If it's not it can lead to damage through monetary oil starvation on first startup.
    No, momentary oil starvation can lead to monetary starvation later! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement