Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom "Fibre Powered" Broadband

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Condi wrote: »

This is the ad they show in Donegal, you were looking at the wrong one Condi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fibre powered just means that there is fibre in the backhaul somewhere. UPC don't have FTTH either, but they do have fibre in the network.

It's all marketing spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC fibre can be to a cabinet and then coax with x800 more capacity than copper pair serve a small number of users. An eircom exchange backhaul is many more people than potentially a UPC fibre. But I don't know exactly how much HFC UPC are doing. It's likely it varies by area.

Has eircom done ANY fibre to cabinets? BT is doing over 1,100 in N.I.

A copper pair is about 20Mbps at 120m, 8Mbps at 3km and 1Mbps or less at 8km for typical quality and crosstalk rather than theoretical max.. Average length is about 3km.

A coax can carry about 5000Mbps or more of traffic and is easily boosted by in-expensive amplifiers for as many km as you want without much loss of capacity. Of course coax also carries TV and may be shared to one side of street in HFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm fairly certain that Eircom NGN is fibre to the cabinet. They don't seem to be announcing it very well but if you recall they talked about doing this some time ago, as far as I know, they continued doing so and that's why it's "NGN".

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that Eircom NGN is fibre to the cabinet.

Ahhhhh don't be daft Paul. They talked about doing that in Dublin in 2006 and started to do a few areas like Nutley in 2007 but then fell out with the government who would not give them €500m to carry on...... but there is no FTTC anywhere else, never was.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ahhhhh don't be daft Paul. They talked about doing that in Dublin in 2006 and started to do a few areas like Nutley in 2007 but then fell out with the government who would not give them €500m to carry on...... but there is no FTTC anywhere else, never was.

If you have sources for that fair enough. However I have it on pretty good authority that they continued FTTC.

Where and on what scale so??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's called NGN because they are mainly replacing TDM/ATM ISDN digital voice orientated backhaul with IP based Backhaul.

Old is TDM, with IP over ATM. NGN is native IP
    (simplifications)

There *might* be some cabinets somewhere, but main thrust is replacing the late 1970s tech tghey installed in mid to late 1980s feeding exchanges, with 2010 versions of late 1990s IP tech. That's what BT's 21CN largely was. BT has NOW moved to next level of rolling out fibre fed cabinets. They are doing 1,100 at least in N.I. I think eircom would be quick to trumpet it if there was any significant FTTC rollout.

Magnet, Digiweb and UPC are pretty much 100% NGN on their networks, except if they happen to lease space of eircom somewhere.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Where and on what scale so??

As I understand it, everywhere. I have no idea of roll out plans or timelines. I can only tell you what I have been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

paulm17781 wrote: »
    As I understand it, everywhere. I have no idea of roll out plans or timelines. I can only tell you what I have been told.

I have it on good authority that the FTTC rollout was suspended 2 years ago.
    Some cabinets were done but it was very limited to south co. Dublin.

Advertisement