Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Tyres for a VW bora

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Had my car serviced today in the vw dealership, 2004 tdi VW Bora. guy says he would recommend 4 new tryes, (one of them is fairly new but he says front left tyre wears quicker than others!)
    tyres are 195/65 R15, he has :
    acceleratora tyres for €57 each
    bridgestones tyres for €85 each

are these good prices? what is an averagely good tyre, i dont want to spend a fortune on top of the range tyres but i dont want the bargain basement ones either.

Also the front wishbone bushes need replacing, quoted €171 for that, is that reasonable?

im not much of a car person so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They are taking their cut on those tyres. Get them yourself and be sure to get a brand you recognise. Quality varies and cheap tyres are a false economy.

€85 for a 15 inch tyre is crazy - I got 2 Dunlop Sport Maxx 225/45/R17's for my car for €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

If you just need safe tyres with budget price, go for asian brands

hankook
    kumho
    nankang

I don't recommend chinese brands

if you want to have more known brands
    I think Pirellis are cheaper ones. but I don't recommend Pirelli p3000 and p6000

We bought 195/50/15 nankang ns-2 from best price tyres in rathcoole for 52 euro each corner. I think they are safe and budget enough.

And don't buy a new tyre which is on shelves more than 4-5 months. check production date on tyre. 4 digit number like 2209 = 22nd weeks of 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

and forgot to add that

fix your wishbones before buying new tyres otherwise they will be worn unevenly too

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got these after a bit of research for my avensis. They're only on a short time, so I can't tell you much yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mdawg wrote: »
    Had my car serviced today in the vw dealership, 2004 tdi VW Bora. guy says he would recommend 4 new tryes, (one of them is fairly new but he says front left tyre wears quicker than others!)
    tyres are 195/65 R15, he has :
    acceleratora tyres for €57 each
    bridgestones tyres for €85 each

are these good prices? what is an averagely good tyre, i dont want to spend a fortune on top of the range tyres but i dont want the bargain basement ones either.

Also the front wishbone bushes need replacing, quoted €171 for that, is that reasonable?

im not much of a car person so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't buy tyres from any car dealer to be honest, all they are is the middle man as they normally source them from a local tyre centre and then add their cut onto the price you pay.

Get out the goldenpages and ring around each tyre centre in your area to compare prices, just avoid buying cheap Chinese and Koren tyres like Wanlii, Sunny or Triangle. Not sure I would recommend NangKang either I've heard them being referred to as ditch finders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

kerten wrote: »
    nankang

A.k.A. Ditch finders!

Advertisement