Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venice or Lisbon for my 40th?

Options
  • 20-05-2010 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi Boardies!
    I haven't been to either, heard great things about both! What are your recommendations, and why? Also, do you know of any nice hotel or lodgings?
    Bear in mind I have to go from Galway, so it's already a trek, and the available budget is tight!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Hi Boardies!
    I haven't been to either, heard great things about both! What are your recommendations, and why? Also, do you know of any nice hotel or lodgings?
    Bear in mind I have to go from Galway, so it's already a trek, and the available budget is tight!
    Thanks in advance!

i'd recommend Porto before Lisbon its much nicer, smaller and more quaint, Portugal is very cheap once you get there even the cities. People are very nice. If you do go to Lisbon be sure to spend a night or two in Sintra which is just outside. Really magical town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

what time of year? i would recommend Venice in the low season (September or later) i thought it was magical. In the summer it is mobbed and can be a bit stinky.

Haven't been to Lisbon but everyone I know who has raves about it, it would probably be cheaper than Venice, but Venice wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

what time of year? i would recommend Venice in the low season (September or later) i thought it was magical. In the summer it is mobbed and can be a bit stinky.

There isn't really a low season in Venice: there is high and very high. Yes, it is a bit better in the colder months of the year. It is one of the iconic destinations, and I think that everybody who can find enough spare cash should try to see it at least once.
    Haven't been to Lisbon but everyone I know who has raves about it, it would probably be cheaper than Venice, but Venice wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

I have been to both. I thought Venice fairly expensive, and Lisbon was definitely in a different price league.

They are very different, and I would find it hard to say that one is better than the other. It comes down to personal preferences. But, with a tight budget, I'd pick Lisbon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Venice, one of the most beautiful and romantic cities. I think everyone should see it at least once.
    As for expensive, not that bad if you put some thought into it.
    I got a 3 day pass on the Vaporetto which worked out very cheap cos I spent a lot of time on it.
    Do not, under an circumstances eat out or go for a drink on or near San Marco square.
    We went way into the back streets and found a great place serving cheap and tasty pizzas.
    We stayed on the Lido in a great little B&B.
    We got the room at the top with the roof patio. Stunning views back to the city and no better place to bring a bottle of wine in the evening.

In saying all that, P. Breathnach is right, if you are on a very tight budget, then Lisbon will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lisbon is a very nice city but venice is special, everyone should see venice at least once and i was there when the weather hit 35 degrees and not a bit of a stink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Go for Venice if you can stretch to it. You wont regret it. Amazing place

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thanks for your quick replies!
    Venice seems to have most votes here...
    Yes, it would be in mid-Sept. I think it's a nice time for Venice. I would go with my husband only for the first time since I don't know how long! And we can save a little till then. I'm quite good at not getting sucked in by tourist traps, seeing that I am from Paris!
    I'll check this link Beruthiel gave me, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

venice is amazing, but be prepared, its very expensive. it costed me €7 for a can of coke there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

One of the things I loved about Venice was just wandering around the back streets, we found some lovely little pizza slice places not far from St Marks square where we got slices of pizza for a euro a pop (amazing quality too) and the cokes/beers were reasonable as well.

Even Harrys Bar wasn't as expensive as we thought, around €7 for a bellini, this was a few years ago.

The Jewish Ghetto is very interesting and also the Peggy Guggenheim collection.

Can't remember the name of where we stayed but it was beside La Fenice Opera House which was dead handy.

Advertisement