Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsoil / Builders rubble

Options
  • 20-05-2010 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

I recently had a builder in to do a renovation. Part of his contract was to lay new topsoil in the back garden, which his machinery had dug up.

He put down the 'new' topsoil, but it seems like it was taken from a house demolition somewhere. It's got plenty of glass, plastic, brick, metal in it.

Now, the builder says he will fix this. He'll have a guy out next week with a rotivator and they'll sort it out.

Can this actually be done? I would have thought that the topsoil needs to be scraped away and new stuff put down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

All a rotovator is going to do is mix all the rubbish through the soil :mad: in other words it will do nothing. I spent months digging through rubble that was dumped as "soil" on a family members site from a well known landscape company in Galway and its no fun, metal, rock, tarmac,wood, cement and rubbish. Get it right now and demand he removes it, you've just been given rubbish from another site and had it dumped on your own. Don't let the builder source the new soil do it yourself and make sure you dig through it to make sure its good.
    Don't make any final payments until this is corrected, your being ripped off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To remove all the glass, plastic etc he'd have to manually pick it all out, as stated above the rotovator will only mix things up and will either make the problem worse or just hide it......none of this imho are acceptable solutions.

In short I wouldn't leave him rotovate and instead get him to remove the contaminated soil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

thanks for the replies.

It's pretty much what I was thinking. I've managed to get this removed from the contract, so in theory there is money there to get somebody else to do it properly. I may not spend that money however, given the financial climate.

And i'll let him do what he says he's going to do as it's not costing me anything, but i somehow doubt that it will be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Look for a landscaper rather than a builder to get topsoil. He should be able to source sterile topsoile mixxed with organic matter an fertilizer. Ideal for plants and grass. A neighbour of mine got a 1 tonne bag for 60 euro in Dublin. Not sure if that's a good prove or not, but I remember wanting to wheel some of it around to my place since it was so good. :)

Advertisement