Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB keyboard and mouse wont work in windows

Options
  • 19-05-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I got a pc from my sister and I am having some problems with usb devices on the computer. First of all the keyboard and the mouse work before windows loads (on the bios) but when it goes to the loading screen the num lock light goes off and the keyboard does not work. I plug it out and in again and it says that it has found new hardware :eek:I tested the keyboard + mouse on my netbook and it works straight away! :rolleyes: Anybody have any ideas whats going on thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What version of Windows are you running?
    If it's a badged computer, what make and model is it?

I'd check BIOS settings in the absence of any other indications of the problem - there may be an option enabled to do something silly with USB keyboards/mice which only kicks in once you start loading the OS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BIOS may have settings for Legacy or Emulation in USB settings

Windows can take several minutes to detect and install new drivers for a new keyboard or mouse, wait 5 minutes and check Human Interface Devices in device manager

PS/2 mice and keyboards may require a reboot to be detected on some older systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

It is a Fujitsu siemens scaleo P desktop (AMI BIOS) running windows xp. I managed to get the mouse to work using 1 usb port (when I plug the mouse in to another usb port it just says found new hardware) and from there I was able to install the keyboard drivers using windows update. How ever when I plug it into a diffrent usb port it still says it found new hardware :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's not unusual for windows XP

if you are every using those USB 3G dongles for mobile broad band then remember which port you plug it into first and always use the same port again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats not unusual for Windows. period.

Each USB Port operates on its own set of drivers. If you've used your USB Mouse on 3 different ports, you will have 3 copies of the driver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement