Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nissan Navara Problem

Options
  • 19-05-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Having a slight problem. Wondering if anyone can shed a bit of light on it before i bring it in.

I have a 01 Navara. Noticed in the last couple of weeks that the front left tyre has been heating up slightly on long drives, or after a bout of stop/start traffic.

Just went for a spin there and noticed that the truck is draggin a bit to the left. When I got home there was a smell of burning from under the wheel arch and the wheel hub was too hot to touch. I flicked some water off my finger onto it just to check, and it sizzled.

Could I have a locked on brake pad? Or is there anything else it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Jack up the wheel and try to spin it. If it’s stiff then it could be a stick brake calliper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Jack up the wheel and try to spin it. If it’s stiff then it could be a stick brake calliper

And could a stuck calliper create that much heat? And the drag?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Funkfield wrote: »
    And could a stuck calliper create that much heat? And the drag?

yip, the caliper holds the brake pads in place and exerts a force on the pads which in turn compress the disk when the brakes are applied. I'd jack up both sides and compare how much effort it takes to spin each wheel.

it might not be the brakes at all either, it could be a worn wheel bearing which would heat up the hub too.

yip, the caliper holds the brake pads in place and exerts a force on the pads which in turn compress the disk when the brakes are applied. I'd jack up both sides and compare how much effort it takes to spin each wheel.

it might not be the brakes at all either, it could be a worn wheel bearing which would heat up the hub too.

Aye, I had a bearing problem before. There is not noticeable grinding or rubbing sound when driving though. My last bearing problem created a lot of frictiona and noise.

I'll jack it up in the morning. I think it may need a professional set of hands. If i leave this too late its gonna cost a lot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Yep thats the bearing thats on the way out,Be careful with it.The rear bearing on our last jeep seized completely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Check that the tire is not under inflated. That would also cause a drag or pull to the side, and being under inflated would cause the tire to heat up considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check that the tire is not under inflated. That would also cause a drag or pull to the side, and being under inflated would cause the tire to heat up considerably.
    OP was talking about heat so hot that water would sizzle off the hub.
    That is more than low pressure in a tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

OP, I would imagine it is the brake caliper sticking.

Does the disc have a blueish tint to it?

If it was the wheel bearing chances are you would have broke down on the side of the road by the time the heat got enough to cause a sizzle

Slidey wrote: »
    OP, I would imagine it is the brake caliper sticking.

Does the disc have a blueish tint to it?

If it was the wheel bearing chances are you would have broke down on the side of the road by the time the heat got enough to cause a sizzle

Cheers for all the posts. I haven't had time to jack up the truck yet but I have had to do short spins in it and I've been very mindful of any friction/noise coming from the wheel.
    There hasn't been the same level of problem since. The two front wheels would heat up a bit and the front left might be slightly hotter than the front right.
    I have noticed that after applying the breaks coming up to lights etc, I have noticed a small sound coming from that general area. Like a dull click. It'd happen just the once while the truck was idling.
    Could this possibly be a caliper unsticking itself?
    Long story short though, I need to get it sorted.
    Cheers.

Advertisement