Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oem and product key question

Options
  • 19-05-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

got my hands on a old dell to fix up, i thought if i ctrl+f11 at bios it would boot into recovery mode, but it doesnt, i cant tell if it has a recovery drive built into it or not, its a dell lattitude d520 laptop
    it badly needs a reinstall, if i was to find a oem dell disc online would the original product key work again, and have everything above board and genuine etc, i have no recovery discs for it either
    eta its xp btw

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unlikely for it to have a recovery partition , ask the owner if they have the CD

borrow a pro / home Dell cd as appropiate

don't download as there are trojans around

check for an i386 folder on the drive and backup the dell /drivers folder

have you tried to clean it up /checked the |HDD is pmo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya she doesnt have the cd anymore, she got the laptop from her bro ages ago,
    so ya reckon another cd will work, with her own key printed on the back of the laptop, im sure it was only ever used once

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You can get all the drivers for it from the Dell site, so if you can get the OEM install disc for your OS (XP Home/Pro I presume) you ought to be able to reinstall OK. The Dell reinstall media I've used at work usually don't require the key to be entered, but the important thing is that you've still got the licence key and sticker on the underside of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya sorted, got an oem online, and managed to reinstall drivers from backup, i wasnt asked for any key and was able download all the updates,
    cheers lads

Advertisement