Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

License question, need some clarity

Options
  • 19-05-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Ok, i just want to know this.
    I have a Full A license (motorbikes) which is a full irish license, does that mean, since i am a full licensed driver, i can sit in with someone on a provisional license (b) and i would count as a full licensed driver?

If the above is true, does me having a full A license count as being a full licensed driver for a car, even though i only have a provisional B license? Does the law just state full licensed driver, or full B licensed driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You must be over 21 and have a full license for that class of vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No. You can't advise a learner if you are in fact a learner yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

You would have to have a full car license (b) for 2 or more years to sit in with a provisional driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Berty wrote: »
    You must be over 21 and have a full license for that class of vehicle.

couldn't you be 19?
    as in having got your licence when your 17 and having it 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Look at it this way, could your parents with no motorbike licence instruct you on motorbikes?
    You need to have a full car licence to instruct on how to drive a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Short answer is no.

In the eyes of the law you are only qualified to use a class A vehicle(Or under). You only have a full license in that Class.

To sit with a learner driver, you must have held it for two years in the class the you are sitting with. IE B license for two years for a car, C license for two years for a Ridgid.

@ 535d What Berty is saying You must be over 21 to hold a A license.

Advertisement