Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Auction House

Options
  • 19-05-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Looks like theyre beta testing this now. It also looks like your gonna have to pay an extra $3 p/m for it. fùck that.

remoteah.jpg
    Free Features

* Browse the Auction House
    * Get real-time notifications when your auctions sell or expire
    * Get real-time notifications when you win auctions or when you are outbid
    * View your characters' current gold
    * View the status of your auctions and search for similar auctions
    * View the items you can sell in your bags, bank, and mailbox
    * View the status of auctions you are bidding on
    * View the items you've sold in the Auction House
    * View your expired auctions
    * View the status of auctions you created
    * View your successful auctions

Subscription Features

* Bid on auctions
    * Buy out auctions
    * Create auctions from items in your bags, bank, and mailbox
    * Collect gold from successful auctions
    * Collect gold from unsuccessful bids
    * Collect all outstanding gold with a single click
    * Cancel your auctions
    * Relist items for sale from your expired auctions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd be interested to know can this service run whilst you are logged onto your wow account.

Even still, I was interested to see how they would manage collecting gold and listing items etc.

As someone deeply involved in the auction house, one of the keys to massive success is AH camping. I just dont have the accesability to do so.

However having this app allowing me check auctions literally all day long, cancelling and relisting, could prove the deciding factor in market dominance.

However I must assume that my competitors will be onto the same thing.

I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Even the free features are pretty cool. Being able to check prices and realtime data isnt half bad for a free app.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh, what will they think of next to get more money out of us (you).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bullox to that. Been learning to play the AH and I don't like the idea of someone gaining an advantage simply cos they're willing to pay more RL money than me and be able to use it whilst at work etc.

Listening to a number of podcasts lately that have been dicussing the blizz store and this among other things.

I dont have a problem one bit, and I think its a falase complaint to have a tear over blizzard " robbing us".

It is true you payalot of money annualy for wow. But thats all you need, all you need.

There is so much whinging over the celestial steed, how much it costs etc, but the simple fact is blizzard is a business, to make money, thats what a business does.

We are lucky that blizzard go beyond the bounds of a normal company. They are in touch with their customers, they partake in community activity and this gains tremendous respect from me. They have a perfect business model.

There is no doubt the steed was a test. Lets see how exactly this goes.

And they made $3 million dollars in one day from it. And lets get some things straight.

The design team for blizz store products are a seperate dev team, they arnt not doing something important to do these items.

They have never, ever forced us into buying something. And they never will. All the things that will be sold by blizzard outside of the game will be cosmetic and conviniance.

This app for example isnt essential to play the auction house, but it makes it maybe a little conviniant when you are not at your pc, but nowhere near essential.

Mounts and pets? Completely cosmetic and unnecasary.

The new upcoming items for the blizz store are tabards, cloaks and titles ( according to every in the know report ive read)

Aslong as things are optional and a bit of fun, I wont mind. I'll never personally buy anything, because its simply not exclusive.

Every pet or mount that comes out, rest assured, there will be thousands with it running around.

As far as I'm concerned, the more succesful they get the more risks they will take, and the more time they will put into solid development and making a great game better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can only think of this being useful for me if i was buying cheap gems off AH to cut later.

I hope they put in a messaging system using the battle.net system coming in 3.3.5. That on a iphone would be more useful for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

TheDoc wrote: »
    Listening to a number of podcasts lately that have been dicussing the blizz store and this among other things.

Mounts and pets? Completely cosmetic and unnecasary....

The new upcoming items for the blizz store are tabards, cloaks and titles ( according to every in the know report ive read)

Aslong as things are optional and a bit of fun, I wont mind. I'll never personally buy anything, because its simply not exclusive.

Every pet or mount that comes out, rest assured, there will be thousands with it running around.

As far as I'm concerned, the more succesful they get the more risks they will take, and the more time they will put into solid development and making a great game better.
    I think the problem with "that retarded horse" aka the celestial steed , and the stuff that's started to be pushed on the store is its getting closer and closer to the concept of useful , game enhancing items being available for an extra fee(i.e. the idea of paying for badges etc ).first it was vanity pets ..fair enough , then the steed ,the closest game item to the steed is probably the headless horsemans mount , which is a rare seasonal drop item.
    so you could try and get taht drop ...or...you could pay cash for a similar see thru horsie.
    Its not a huge jump from that to say...paying for heirloom items (they're not end game ,and you can earn the badges for them in one afternoon so its no big deal...right?) , and then making level 213 items available on the blizz store (...well , its not end game so it's ok ...right?),then maybe buying extra badges from the store and so on.Eventually you have a blizz store that sells "optional"end game gear. Which is going to lead to people feeling they have to pay extra to be more raid viable.I've a gut feeling that this is an activision move rather than a blizz one, but one of the nice things about wow up to recently is that it doesnt go down the route a lot of eastern MMOs have where you can buy game inbalancing items for real cash....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

heh, what next :)

781048010_vAbfL-L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Brilliant.

This only makes sense if it restricts your toons from interacting with the AH while they are not inside one of the AH cities.

Found out there is a cap o nthe amount of auctions you can manipulate at any time.

So you cant mass cancel undercut auctions and mass relist, you can only do one at a time or something.

So that pretty much sorts my worries about AH campers doing me up the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

How about scripting/botting? Since this isn't monitored by Warden, how long before someone discovers an exploit?

• Advertisement

Talk bout that on our guild forum, one of the tech savy guys saying it will be pretty quick that the API gets re-routed, and this app could possibly be run from your desktop, android or jailbroken iphone, and will allow multy auctioning, and play nicely into the hands of people who play the AH game.

Quickauctions dev already announcing his going to do work trying to get some integration once the app gets exploited.

Cant say I'd be concerned, as im an AH player, wonder if it be regarded as cheating, possibly, so ill have to mointor it carefully.

But being able to camp the AH on the fly sounds immense for me personally, **** for the average casual ah user, and **** for you guys buying stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

But being able to camp the AH on the fly sounds immense for me personally, **** for the average casual ah user, and **** for you guys buying stuff :D
    Actually it's the complete opposite. The ones that will benefit the most will be the consumers as the campers will be constantly undercutting eachother, hence everything will be much cheaper than it would normally.

The ones that will lose out the most will definitely be the 'casual' AH'ers and the farmers as they'll both find it tough to sell anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Like someone said, Blizz is a company, and a companies goal in this world is to make money. Thing about Blizz is, they seem to have their fingers on their customers pulses and provide things that are wanted by their playerbase.

That said, ill not be paying for this app, mounts, pets or anything extra. But im totally indifferent to people who do wanna pay for extra's, its their money at the end of the day:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

3 quid a month lol, talk about overkill, its almost as bad as IW charging a 10'er for 3 new maps on MW2, i dont even see how that makes sense. The orginal game costs 40 quid, contains like 15 maps, single player and tons of spec op's.

Blizzard really do seem to be milking wow for everything they can now, it'll get to a point where they'll be selling epic and legendary gear. Greedy bastards.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Actually it's the complete opposite. The ones that will benefit the most will be the consumers as the campers will be constantly undercutting eachother, hence everything will be much cheaper than it would normally.

The ones that will lose out the most will definitely be the 'casual' AH'ers and the farmers as they'll both find it tough to sell anything.

Definitely not how it works

Red gems have collapsed on my server to were runed are going for 100, bold for 110 and fractured for 120.

I bought out all the gems and reset the price to 160g for the lowest going to 200g.

As much as the auction house is good for you to get your items, its still the likes of me putting in the effort and I'll want the rewards. Especially on gems, where you can get them so easy nowadays, so I need to be inventive selling them.

Being able to sit o nthe AH 24/7 remotely, lets me just control so much more

Definitely not how it works

Red gems have collapsed on my server to were runed are going for 100, bold for 110 and fractured for 120.

I bought out all the gems and reset the price to 160g for the lowest going to 200g.

As much as the auction house is good for you to get your items, its still the likes of me putting in the effort and I'll want the rewards. Especially on gems, where you can get them so easy nowadays, so I need to be inventive selling them.

Being able to sit o nthe AH 24/7 remotely, lets me just control so much more
    Not really as you are assuming you will be the only one camping the AH. If you think about it, the reason you were able to hike the price up was because for that specific period of time you had no competition. i.e. the person who originally posted those gems (and presumably the other 'ah goblins') were afk/working etc.

Lets say then that hypothetically that person is on the AH constantly (as is possible with the app). Once you buy out the gems and hike the price, your competitor can then just immediately list more gems for the original price.

You are then stuck in a situation where you can do 3 things:

1) Cancel, relist and undercut - Consumer wins as gems are now cheaper. Competitor wins as you've bought out their gems. You lose as you've had to resell those gems as cheaper than you bought them for.

2) Do nothing - Consumer wins as your competitor prevented a price increase. Competitor wins as you bought their gems and they still have more listed which consumers will buy. You lose as you now have extra stock which you'll need to sell.

3) Buy out your competitor's gems again and relist for higher - This is an interesting one as the only way it can be effective is if you have far more resources (read money) available to you than your competitor does. Even if you buy out your competitors stock completely though, you'll only have the advantage up until the point where your competitor can craft and relist more gems and even with a modestly sized competitor, that will usually not be enough time for you to sell off the stock you've just bought from them.

Either way, your competitor is actually going to be pretty happy as now, not only are they selling to the consumers, but they are now also selling to their competitors, i.e. you.

Buying out and relisting higher is ultimately futile unless you are on an extremely uncompetitive realm.

The only way to 'beat' your competitors on the AH is by selling stuff at a cheaper price than they can afford to make it. This is usually done by either strangling the supply (not always possible) or by hiring a farmer.

True, but like I stated above theres certain markets you can control pretty easy.

Theres actually very few high level Jewelcrafters like myself on realm.

Most of the gem sales are guys who pick up a gem from bags or badges, get a friend to cut them and sell.

Alot of the major players have since left the AH because of the price drop.

As much as it is a good thing for consumers when competition is fierce, if it gets too fierece alot of them will leave and the price gets reset.

Its astonishing how with a bit of gold you can pretty much take over markets.

Anyways interesting to see how it all pans out. I'm sweating to just get home and check my mail, listed about 60 new cut gems this morning after gathering my sales from the last 48 hours.

Took in around 11k total, so 6k into g bank of profit. Not bad at all coming from gems mostly, where the profit is shocking now if your not investing alot of money.

This is now live on european realms for beta testing

Just to let you know, the remote auction house beta is live for EU. I checked it this morning on my iphone to buy flasks. Its actually pretty nice and slightly better then i expected.

Having trouble with checking bank alt though :S

From my understanding and talking with american counterparts, the armoury wont recognise level 1 characters.

This, in truth, makes the app completely useless and I for one wont be using it at all.

I dont do any selling from my mains except the odd icc boe. Not being able to use a level 1 bank alt is a big fail in my book.

I can understand the point of it being that its to stop gold farmers using the service, and to stop people like me resetting and manipulating markets whilst we arnt even at the pc, but its really frustrating.

I sent a beta testing form to blizzard to outline my views on the issue and try get some anwsers, cause it was not officially announced that there was a character level requirement, but it seems to be unofficial.

The app itself works really nice. Its quick enough to load up and search auctions. Its also pretty easy and quick to post an auction, and the onscreen price comparison to similar auctions is something they should implement into the game, nothing mroe annoying then clicking between two tabs to check pricings.

The app has become the new sensation over podcasts i listen to , that its a major advantage to major AH players. Might have to rethink my podcasts since they missed this by a mile.

This app is a big advantage to those who DONT sit the AH and play seriously.

The advantage I have over you, is that I regularly visit the AH, post mass quantities and have the buying power to reset markets, buy matts at silly low prices and sell at low prices whilst making a killing.

This app takes that advantage away. By letting ANYONE use it from ANYWHERE at ANYTIME, it puts alot of people who were behind on a level playing field.

The restriction and annoyance of posting one auction at a time instead of me using quickauctions to post 400 auctions in a few seconds, means it will slow me down and drive me away from the app.

I very much expect on release, a much more competitive market. I dont think prices can drop any lower so consumers wont see a bigger saving, but for people like me it might mean my costs going up, my profit being cut and having to be more inventive.

Me and my gold making partner are re-evaluating markets in anticipation for the stiff competition thats coming our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Not having a level 10 banker is fail :P

Also, remember that with this added functionality you cant use your AH addons which is what makes it all so efficient.

Like, whats the point in relisting 10000's of auctions remotely if you dont have your cutoff prices etc

• Advertisement

From my understanding and talking with american counterparts, the armoury wont recognise level 1 characters.
    Works fine for me with a level 1 char. Just set it as your primary character when you log into the armory, then it'll let you view the auctions on it as normal.

[edit] Basically what I mean is, it doesn't matter if it doesn't actually find your char on the armory when you search it. When you log in, click on the little 'person' icon in the top right. It'll then show you a list of all your chars, then click on the 'plus' symbol beside the char's name to set it as your primary (if you actually click on the name instead, it wont work).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Works fine for me with a level 1 char. Just set it as your primary character when you log into the armory, then it'll let you view the auctions on it as normal.

Yep this worked for me. Armory doesn't work with it but the auction house part will.

just tried it out there, pretty neat for people who arent trying to take over the world via the ironforge AH ......

Seemed to bug out as after collecting some money and listing a few auctions its now saying my realm isnt included in the test, which it cleary was 5 secs before. Guess its beta for a reason :)

Dont understand you there

Also, remember that with this added functionality you cant use your AH addons which is what makes it all so efficient.

Makes everything AH related, unefficent. Takes more time, have to view each pricing individually etc, takes way to much time...

not being able to mass cancel your auctions you have been cut on, also means your not optimising.

[edit] Basically what I mean is, it doesn't matter if it doesn't actually find your char on the armory when you search it. When you log in, click on the little 'person' icon in the top right. It'll then show you a list of all your chars, then click on the 'plus' symbol beside the char's name to set it as your primary (if you actually click on the name instead, it wont work).

Will try when im home, not wifi network in work to test on, but thats interesting....beta is beta I guess, but if you CAN access your banker, that is win.

It wont be a game turner, but would be sweet to be on the bus or in work or something and check how my auctions are going, and just get a feel for markets on times i wouldnt normally check.

Undecided if I will actually buy the app, I might hold off until I get myself something like an iphone with a data plan, at the moment the free service is more then enough for me, considering i'm using a nokia n95 i dread to think how much effort this would be using that pile of ****.

Makes everything AH related, unefficent. Takes more time, have to view each pricing individually etc, takes way to much time...

not being able to mass cancel your auctions you have been cut on, also means your not optimising.

Thats what i mean. You're predicting a crash in the market from the point of view of AH jockeys, but this actually wont make any difference to people like yourself apart because you need to be logged in to go to work on it.

Actually the one interesting option I didn't know about before is that you can switch between your faction and the neutral AH. Technically it's now a good bit easier to switch gold across factions as you can just alt+tab between WoW and the web based armory to do it.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Thats what i mean. You're predicting a crash in the market from the point of view of AH jockeys, but this actually wont make any difference to people like yourself apart because you need to be logged in to go to work on it.

O yeah I getcha.

I wasnt prediciting a crash in the market. I was predicting a rise in competition. Those that maybe would spent an hour on the AH during the day, might now do it from the backgarden, from work or on the buss.

Prices wont drop for consumers that much, they are at the breaking point in most markets... I just see that there might be some drop off in profits for peeps like me that live through the AH :)

Actually the one interesting option I didn't know about before is that you can switch between your faction and the neutral AH. Technically it's now a good bit easier to switch gold across factions as you can just alt+tab between WoW and the web based armory to do it.

Interesting, having a nightmare selling some icc264 heroic bracers I got, they wont shift for a reasonable amount and people are offering silly low numbers.

might put em on the neutral one see if I get some bites.

Is it possible to actually sell things like these boe items on the neutral, believe it or not never used it before cause it was so far away.

• Advertisement

hmm, one annoying thing is that there's no way of me posting auctions using items in my banker's guild bank. I guess I'll have to squish anything I want to sell into the personal bank and leave longer term stuff in the gb.
    TheDoc wrote:
    Is it possible to actually sell things like these boe items on the neutral, believe it or not never used it before cause it was so far away.
    Doubt it, but it means you can just set up a dk on the other faction, stick it up on the neutral AH, buy it using your DK, then use the DK to list it on the opposite faction.

Advertisement