Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finances available for students during summer

Options
  • 19-05-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Have been trying to get a job for the last 4 months but no result is there any finance available to help me get through the summer without having to move back home? Thanks for any information provided

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Have been trying to get a job for the last 4 months but no result is there any finance available to help me get through the summer without having to move back home? Thanks for any information provided

as far as i know theres nothing! unless you have been recieving BTEA, Im in the same boat:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Are students entitled to the dole? I've heard this from a few people. I've just graduated and am struggling to find even summer work.

Are students entitled to the dole? I've heard this from a few people. I've just graduated and am struggling to find even summer work.

yeah i think once your finished in education your entitled to claim because your available for work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im in the same boat no money coming at all and i keep hearing we could get jobseekers allowence from social welfare but just dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

sky88 wrote: »
    im in the same boat no money coming at all and i keep hearing we could get jobseekers allowence from social welfare but just dont know

I think you have to be out of full-time education for three months before you can get JSA, purely to stop students claiming whilst their on Summer Holidays.

• Advertisement

I think you have to be out of full-time education for three months before you can get JSA, purely to stop students claiming whilst their on Summer Holidays.

no im fairly sure once your finished college you can claim the dole, you have to wait 3 months if you have just come out of secondary school. there was a rise in may for people signing on and the government put it down to the fact the it was students who had just completed college

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

dotsflan wrote: »
    no im fairly sure once your finished college you can claim the dole, you have to wait 3 months if you have just come out of secondary school. there was a rise in may for people signing on and the government put it down to the fact the it was students who had just completed college

what if your goin back to college after the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

NeonAddict wrote: »
    what if your goin back to college after the summer?

well, to put it blunt, your fu*ked.

There is nothing available for students for the summer unless your very very very lucky to get a part time / full time job, which is more or less impossible concidering the situation with the country right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

There is nothing available for students for the summer unless your very very very lucky to get a part time / full time job, which is more or less impossible concidering the situation with the country right now.
    Is the student summer job scheme still on the go?
    (Or was that axed during the boom?)

-edit- Ah, thrown out in 2003. You're fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm living up in Dublin at the moment doing my thesis work for my MSc, I'm living on around €40/week, it's fucking awful so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I'm back with the parents, babysitting and teaching piano and enjoying the sun. I'm also learning to drive and losing weight. If it wasn't sunny I'd be totally miserable because I'd have no money to do anything. I couldn't afford to live away from home at the moment, I think you should move back asap and save what little money you do have for enjoyable things rather than groceries and ESB. Anyone who is hiring wants the very best graduates.

Last minute LC grinds if you do one of the subjects they finish on? Teach an instrument to beginners? If you put up lots of babysitting ads you will get clients. I even do short shifts while they're at the gym or shopping and I charge a tenner.

One industry that is doing well is beauty and hairdressing around where I am on the northside of Dublin, they're all hiring. I'd say it's similar everywhere.

Advertisement