Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tradesman won't return house keys and door company won't change locks

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, my wife and I recently had our house renovated.
    We paid a tradesman to do a lot of work, including installing new doors in the house. We had a disagreement with him, he has left the site, but he has a copy of our new door keys. We wish to change the locks using the company that supplied the doors.
    They are refusing to do this as the doors were ordered by the tradesman in his name.
    The doors are paid for in full but they say they will not change the locks without his consent, which he is not giving.
    We could get the locks changed by using another locksmith, but we would like to get the exact same locks from the company which delivered the doors.
    I was very surprised by this.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Can a company really refuse to change our locks, which we paid for?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd just get the locks changed asap. No idea on the legal issues of whether the company is allowed to refuse, but the facts on the ground are that they are refusing, and for the moment a relative stranger who apparently is disgruntled with you (for whatever reason, not important here) has keys to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

To be honest it sounds like rubbish to me from the company, but setting that aside, order a new set of locks from them.Cost a lot less than possibly coming home one day and finding somebody else has let themselves in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Doroteo

your trades man paid....with your money but he order them on his name that may be an issue. Order a new lock and change in will be the cheapest probably

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It shouldn't be a problem to get the same locks from elsewhere, if you're adamant you want that specific lock. I wouldn't mess around with either of them any more, frankly the tradesman retaining the key is a little sinister to me.

Get an uninvolved locksmith in to change the locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RiddleMeThis

Hi all, I have had the locks changed today.
    Thanks very much for all your kind advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We wish to change the locks using the company that supplied the doors. They are refusing to do this as the doors were ordered by the tradesman in his name. The doors are paid for in full but they say they will not change the locks without his consent, which he is not giving.
    You have no contract with the door supplier. Your contract is with the fitter. You have no ability to force them to fit new locks.

In practical terms, they are unlikely to upset the person they supplied the doors to, the fitter, as they may not have been paid yet and will want business from the fitter in future. I imagine you aren't in the door market much.

Advertisement