Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed please

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone, We bought a campervan last year and next week we are heading to France with it for the first time. We are going for 7 weeks to the one campsite and as the van will be stationary for the duration of the holiday I am looking for a bit of advice on should the engine be started, should the campervan be moved etc... Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

why will you not be moving,for me the hole point of motorhoming is to get around from place to place,even if you are staying in the same place surely you will use the van to tour the area
    as for starting the van if you are on hook up the batteries will be fully charged so no need to start it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

7 weeks is a long time to be in one place. Better off to tour around a bit and check out different sites. There's no shortage of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newowner

The reason why we are not touring around is that we have two very small children and I will be returning home after two weeks and my wife and children will remain in France. It is our intention to travel and try out different campsites but we decided that we would wait for a year or two for that. We do use it here and get great enjoyment from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

well enjoy your trip i would love to 7 weeks,have to say if it was me i would move about even if you broke it into 2 or 3 different sites,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Presumably you will be hooked up to electricity? Why not bring a battery charger and give the starter battery a top up now and then? Most vans charge the leisure battery only when plugged in. If you are using the dashboard radio a lot you could drain the starter. On the other hand you will have people nearby to give you a jump start if need be.

Starting the engine now and then will reassure you I suppose. But even letting it run for a while in place won't charge it up as much as you just discharged it to start!

7 weeks in the one place! - I understand your reasons - still - it's a difficult concept for me - spend 3 nights in one place in France last year 'cos I was in the middle of the action (small boats) and did not want to risk losing my spot - and it felt really weird!

Hope your wife does not get put off campervans for life after 7 weeks with kids!! On the other hand she will know more about how everything works than you do - both from necessity and from talking to the other wives. Can you handle that? :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

One of these is handy to leave on the dash. It will keep the battery trickle charging during the daylight hours.

http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=348061
    N05HN.jpg

Advertisement