Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafting "How to"

Options
  • 18-05-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I have an apple tree that puts out great apples and i wanted to try and graft some branches from it to a different tree. (I have a crab apple tree that is a candidate) can anyone point me in the right direction to find a how to guide Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sorry I cant help with the details but why wouldn't you get a proper root-stock to graft onto... I'm not sure the crab apple will be of any use..
    My grandad used to graft trees and his comment was that crab apple was as it is due to poor root system...

Also I'm sure that Irish seed Savers offer a service to graft onto new rootstock to save a tree for the public..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patoinsf

Thanks for the help seed savers seems to be the best option The crab apple tree was just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

On a hobby scale he used hawthorn as a rootstock and claimed the results were great...Unfortuniterly I didn't pick up this skill until it was too late..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

one has to wait until the autumn, i am trying different types of apple varitys on the one tree, a cut on an old branch, insert a small spur from another tree into the cut, a little glue then i wrapped them with duct tape, 90% are flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

^^^^^^^

...all depends on what method of graft you wish to do, bud grafting can be done in july/august...this is the method that is used most in nurseries because you only use a single bud as the scion but i found it difficult to match up the cambium layers in this method and had limited success...whip graft method( done when the sap is rising) was the easiest that i found to do and had the most success with but whatever method you do, try and source out the proper materials to give yourself the best chance of success - good rootstock (many different types to determine how big or small the tree will become), proper grafting tape and grafting wax to seal the union,

good luck and have fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement