Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Aid help

Options
  • 18-05-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi
    Im a 26 yo and have a back complaint for over 2 years. I have no feeling in my leg and i relay on cruches (since Feb).

I need home aid, things to help me get round the house. I also want to enquire if i can get a wheelchair to help me leave the house, As its a back complaint the cruches are killing me. I was only given cruches in a&E no one has helped me yet with anything

I rang Occupational therapy in tallaght hospital today and i was told that i have to get my phyiso to help me. Rang my Phyiso she said no its Occupational therapy that i need. I have also rang my public health nurse who hasnt answered or returned my call.

Can anyone give me answers? Who is it i need to speak to and how do i get them to listen to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

NE ONE?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

One trick that I've used in the past when getting the runaround from two different depts is to get them both on the phone at the same time using conference calling, and then let them argue it out with each other while I listen to the fun. Not sure if this is practical in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

occupational therapist deal with personal aides like toilet seats, dressing aides, kictchen aides. physios deal with all mobility aides. id say your best bet would be to contact the IWA if the hospital are no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ailis

Occupational Therapists also deal with mobility aids, it just depends what the policy of the hospital is. If you would like to pm me with details of where you are living i could try and findout who you should be contacting, as it may be hospital, community care or primary care team that you need to be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Ailis wrote: »
    Occupational Therapists also deal with mobility aids, it just depends what the policy of the hospital is. If you would like to pm me with details of where you are living i could try and findout who you should be contacting, as it may be hospital, community care or primary care team that you need to be dealing with.

yes OTs do wheelchairs but physios would do the majority of aides..if your discharged from hospital its the primary care team..however from my own experience of working as an OT on one it was mainly older people who were given transit/ self propelling wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs for people with conditions such as MS. Given the waiting list for an OT on community care your best bet is to try and contact your NGO to hire one or your local physio as a wheelchair is normally only given if other options have been tried out eg rollator etc. also under the freedom of information act you can see the notes of any health professional who worked with you at the time to see how they came to their professional decision (eg..crutches)..i would mention the act if when you contact them they do not clarify why you were given crutches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement