Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill off Greenfly?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Where to start...

Found greenfly all over my strawberry, tomatoes and gladioli today. Had to pick off and squish in hands. There must be a easier way to control their numbers-preferably in a biologically friendly way (i plan to eat the fruit of these plants and i dont wont to harm the birds/neighbours cat). Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ladybirds enjoy greenfly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I havn't tried this, but am considering giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

could try a organic neem oil spray it deters most insects and is safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Ladybirds enjoy greenfly

How do i get ladybirds to come into my garden?
    Qwerty? wrote: »
    I havn't tried this, but am considering giving it a go.

Link is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    How do i get ladybirds to come into my garden?

most nurseries or online garden supply's will have them

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

mr. middleton sells ladybirds from the end of may, also they love nettles, so if you have any in your garden leave them.

you can also buy ladybird food/attractor - you can get it on ebay

irishbird wrote: »
    mr. middleton sells ladybirds from the end of may, also they love nettles, so if you have any in your garden leave them.

you can also buy ladybird food/attractor - you can get it on ebay

I do have a lot of nettle weeds in the back of my garden..or do you mean other types of nettles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

If you plant companion plants such as poached egg plant, tagetes, calendula, marigolds they should keep the aphids away as they attract hoverflies, ladybirds and a couple of other creatures who devour the aphids.

Planting garlic near plants that attract aphids is another solution that works for some people, also spraying with garlic infused water is another option as is spraying with a weak solution of soap such as Fairy washing up liquid and water, the soap blocks the pores on aphids so they smother. Apparently they're supposed to explode.

Nettles attract ladybirds, also makes a very good manure.

If i see more greenfly tomorrow i will make a spray with fairy liquid. I also have garlic in my fridge so might try that too.

Saw that mr middleton site-25 ladybirds for 30 euro? in theory it sounds like a good idea but wont the ladybirds leave my garden as in fly away? or be eaten by spiders? And must i buy that 'ladybird house' for 20 euro? It all sounds a bit over the top. Anyone here have a ladybird colony in their garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

At my last GIY meeting the discussion was on pest control. Apparently the imported ladybirds are killing the native ladybirds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

deisemum wrote: »

Planting garlic near plants that attract aphids is another solution that works for some people, also spraying with garlic infused water is another option as is spraying with a weak solution of soap such as Fairy washing up liquid and water, the soap blocks the pores on aphids so they smother. Apparently they're supposed to explode.

I made a Garlic Spray last year and it worked a treat for sorting out my greenfly issues. I chopped a couple of cloves of garlic into a pot and filled with water and simmered it for a couple of hours. Cooled it and put it in a spray bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Doe the garlic spay stink?

I have a sunflower plant which is still indoors.

What are the easiest companion plants to grown that won't take over a garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

I too made up the garlic spray, also mixed washing up liquid in it. I made a 5 litre bottle of the stuff last year and I keep refilling a Bug Gun which holds .5 litre. Still have at least 4 litres of the stuff. Yep it smells of Garlic ! But it seems to work. Gave roses a blast of it last weekend, no greenfly yet but trying to deter them !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

mehmeh12 wrote: »

Link is dead.

Sorry, just check under Natural Pest Control and have a look at SB PLANT INVIGORATOR

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Can you 'buy' ladybirds? My daughter would love that! Was in Germany last year and I never saw so many. They were everywhere around the North of Germany.

Advertisement