Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Shaking and Exams!

Options
  • 18-05-2010 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Boardies!

Just looking for a bit of advice, if anybody can help it would be much appreciated!

I am starting third year exams tomorrow in college and I'm basically a nervous wreck. By this I mean, I literally can't stop shaking and can't get any sleep even though I go to bed at my normal time! Last night, I was literally lying there all night and now today when I am trying to do some last minute additional study...I can't concentrate because I'm so tired!

Last year when I was sitting exams I had to take a swig or two of brandy to calm my nerves down, even though I was on anti-depressants at that time and I am still taking them. I know that wasn't the smartest idea but it did work for me. I suppose I am looking for an alternate method of calming myself down with exam stress!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey OP, i know exactly how you feel, im naturally a very anxious person. and i have exams coming up too so im even more anxious at the moment. if you take 10 minutes. lay down and breathe deeply from your stomach. counting slowly to 10 as you inhale, then exhale counting down from 10, and repeat when you feel like taking another breath. try not to think about anything, focus on your breathing. sounds very simple but it really does work to calm you down and get rid of the shaking. also avoid caffeine or cut down. if you're REALLY anxious, to the point you think it will affect your exam, you could go to your GP and ask for a sedative. iv had to do that before to get through an exam. good luck with the exams OP, relax and dont freak out over them, im sure you'll do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Meditation or go to a chemist and get some Klams or go back to your dr.

exams2010 wrote: »
    Last year when I was sitting exams I had to take a swig or two of brandy to calm my nerves down, even though I was on anti-depressants at that time and I am still taking them. I know that wasn't the smartest idea but it did work for me. I suppose I am looking for an alternate method of calming myself down with exam stress!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Alcohol is an effective anxiolytic in small doses and in the short-term - it exerts its effects in the same way as benzodiazepines such as diazepam. Benzodiazepines are the ultimate treatment for short-term anxiety and panic attacks, but they are extremely abusable and easy to become psychologically and physically dependent on them. Doctors are usually reluctant to prescribe them except as a last resort, but speak to yours about them anyway. They carry less immediate physical danger than alcohol when taken at the correct dosage.

Anti-depressants will not help as their beneficial effects take some time to be felt (up to two weeks), and they are not designed to be used on a short-term basis.

Alternative techniques such as meditation do help anxiety, but if all else fails and you seriously need a pharmacological treatment, you really do need to have a talk with a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Kalms doesn't work for me.

I would say to get more exercise and to concentrate on your breathing when you are trying to sleep.
    Just block everything else out an concentrate on the sound and speed of your breathing.
    Usually works for me.

I know it sounds tacky, but I would also try counting sheep.

I have some terrible problems sleeping, so I can certainly sympathise with you.

I have tried rescue remedy on a couple occasions, not to effective to say the least. I am trying to keep myself calm but its not really working. I am generally an anxious person, that I will admit. Have tried numerious exercises for relaxation, I find breathing does help but dosen't go the whole way for me unfortunately!

Honestly would a doctor hand out sedatives like that? Like my GP obviously knows my history and that but I don't think he would give them to me. Is it the answer? Like I want to get through my exams and that hopefully without the use of alcohol but I do need a way to calm down before tomorrow morning!

• Advertisement

Kalms contains Valerian, hops and Gentiana root. It will bring on very mild (if any) sedation, which may be simply attributable to the placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,284 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there an out of hours doctor service in your area? Between now and the morning, go to your local pharmacy and explain to the pharmacist (not assistant) about your meds, exams and feelings. Then try to speak to your doctor / the college doctor in the morning.

Explain things to the senior invigilator / supervisor before the exam and if it all becomes too much, do be afraid of asking to see a nurse / doctor. If you leave early, explain you aren't feeling well. That said, my best advice is never leave an exam early - if you want to just read over the questions / answers, you might find something to add.

However, I suspect when you are in the exam hall things will become a bit more calm and focused.

Unfortunatley, the pahrmacy has closed for the night, my exam isn't until 9.30am so I will definitely try and get something sorted. I am more fearful now that the alcohol and anti-depressants mix isn't a good idea, that I learned the hard way last year. Thats why I am looking for a solution!

If I don't see my GP before the exam, I will definitely will see him in the afternoon, even for a chat or different approaches to my anxiety. Like I wish tomorrow was the only exam, but there's four more after that. I think the lack of preparation makes things worse!

I am reluctant to try anything else over the counter because of the meds I am currently on.

Like I wish tomorrow was the only exam, but there's four more after that.
    Sure, but as you go along there will be fewer and fewer left and you'll get more used to it and your performance will improve.

First exam is over thank god!

Was up all night last night and couldn't get any sleep! I wasn't as bad as I had originally expected last night even though I was shaking, I did some-how manage to answer a question or two and read them incorrectly in the process!

So basically, I kind of made a complete balls of it and I'm literally so far gone today that I am unable to study and unable to sleep!

I am heading in the direction of my GP I know that, but when? I am kind of reluctant as good and nice as he is I don't want to be blowing things out of proportion as I don't want my dose of anti-depressants upped again!

I am still a nervous wreck, I found some rescue remedy chewing gum in the house this morning and took some of that before I left, off now until friday and hoping things will simmer down a bit at least!

• Advertisement

First exam is over thank god!
    Good.
    I am heading in the direction of my GP I know that, but when? I am kind of reluctant as good and nice as he is I don't want to be blowing things out of proportion
    Your study and exams are being impaired. I think that is a good enough reason to talk to the doctor.

You have a fair point there victor, I'm slightly backward in going forward if you know what I mean and also the fact that I have being seeing alot of the doctor lately makes me reluctant to go back again!

Advertisement