Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning, Noon and Night Sickness!

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Had been feeling rough for the past 3 weeks (exhausted, back-to-back yawning, mucho heaving, sore boobs) and as the old period was not making an appearance, at the wend I admitted it was time to take a test. Pee'd on the stick yest evening, and the two pink lines confirmed our suspicions. There was no faintness in the second line to cause any doubt!! Have made my appt with the doc for Fri for the official confirmation. Bubs wasn't planned, but was gonna materialise at some stage in the near future, so all is good. I'm still in shock though and feels completely surreal!!

I've struggling to remember when my last period was though...not because it was that long ago, but I just can't date it at all other than I figure I'm around 3-4 weeks late. I know at my age I should be more clued in with these things. Will it sound bad to be honest with the doc about that? Might he be able to tell us how many weeks I'm gone? I feel terrible at my age and telling him I can't figure it out myself.

The sickness is nearly more in the afternoon-night, and is like the nauseous feeling you get when you're really hungry...but when I see/smell food it doesn't appeal at all. And all I'm doing is heaving..only once has a little something come up. I know each pregnancy is unique and everyone has different symptoms, but just wondering is there a general timeframe that this happens between...kinda curious now to know how far along I am. Also, is it likely to stop at the 12 weeks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Firstly, Congratulations :D

I shouldn't be too worried that you can't remember when your last period was, its not the end of the world! Your GP might refer you for an early dating scan to confirm dates.

Morning Sickness can strike at any time, its a myth that its just a morning thing. Try and eat little but often, and try to eat bland foods. Ginger is meant to be great for sickness so try munching on ginger nut biscuits throughout the day, they worked for me :) The sickness can last for a few weeks or for the whole pregnancy, its different for everyone. You'll be pleased to know that the sicker you are, the healthier the pregnancy is supposed to be!

Now is the time to be looking after yourself. Start taking folic acid, keep your diet as healthy as possible, take gentle exercise and if you haven't done so already, give up drinking and smoking. If you work in an environment that poses a hazard, you'd be well to inform your employer so that you can avoid hazards (I had to tell my employer asap as I work with cytotoxic and radioactive substances)

Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

If you feel you're 3-4 weeks late then that would make you 7 or 8 weeks pregnant and seems about right with the 3 weeks of feeling rough. For me the morning (noon and night) sickness didn't kick in until 7 or 8 weeks on both pregnancies so that sounds about right too! For me it lasted til around 13-14 weeks. Same as you no vomiting but constantly feeling like I was hungover, horrible stuff but does end!!

Your doc won't think anything of you being a bit vague on your dates. Do you know whihc hospital you would like to attend? If so then I wouldn't wait til your doc to make an appointment, just call now and book in. There is a baby boom on in Ireland at the moment so all the hospitals are really busy. Depending on where you are going you might get a dating scan which would help in getting dates, but these are most accurate before 14 weeks, so if your first appointment is later than that (which it likely will be) then you might choose to get a private dating scan, but your doc can advise on the best course of action there.

There's some threads on here discussing the different maternity care options: Public, semi-private, and private, but if you need any information just ask.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had it for about 36 of the 38 weeks of my pregnancy.it was awful.
    The hardest bit is getting too and from work and the tiredness and sickness in work but the time flies and soon it is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭intothewest

Thanks everyone..from my limited knowledge (google this week!) I'm thinking it's somewhere between 7-9 weeks. Course after the excitement and shock of the home test, one first things OH wondered was 'which night was it'!! The tiredness is a killer for me at the moment. In a way it's good to have work as something to do, cos I feel I would just lol around if I were at home. At the same time, come the afternoon, I really start to feel it, and my evenings have been literally been spent on the couch. Our poor dog is looking at me like I'm the lamest owner ever, but I just don't have the energy.

Have the doc's appt tom afternoon, so guess we'll go through stuff with him then. I'm in the west, but assume that doesn't mean waiting times etc won't exist over here..not just Dublin that's having a baby boom if the amount of preggie bellies and buggys going around are anything to go by!

I'm clueless about the public, semi-private, private thing though. I'm fortunate to have VHI through work, though I'm not on the maternity one. Can I change now, or do I have to wait for the renewal date (Oct)? Also, even though I have health insurance, we can't really afford the bills I've been reading about for private costs..and I don't want to sound like I'm not concerned about getting the best service either, but unfortunately we're just not in a flush situation at the moment. Given I have health insurance, which is my better option? Just wondering, cos assume the doc might want an idea for tom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭carrot_flowers

I'm 4 months pregnant to date, I've been violently ill since day 1. I'm talking constant nausea, puking 2-4x/day, a trip to the A&E for regurgitating blood even. That's not even to mention the fatigue and body aches...but rest assured, I was told that the form of severe morn sickness that I have only occurs in less than 1 in 1000 women. Lucky me...& my garbage bin :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Annie Bananie

I was feeling nausia 24/7 week 5-9.. Not sure why they call it morning sickness, was always workst midday and in the evenings for me.

I was lucky enought to only feel sick for about 5 weeks, a friends of mine, was feeling sick right up until birth.

Congratulations and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I felt sick all day, the moment I opened my eyes until I went to bed. I felt exhausted and the one of ways to reliefd was horizontal position :)
    the other one was smelling orange oil and drink warm water with lemon and fresshly chopped ginger (small bit into water)
    maybe try eat small bits all day, not big meals.

Advertisement