Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resin fireplaces rip-off

Options
  • 18-05-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Has anyone else had this problem and please did you have any comeback?

We bought a 'cast-iron' fireplace from a company in the North East of the country several years ago as well as a marble fireplace - however, after getting a recent survey for the installation of a multi-fuel stove we found out that our cast-iron surround was not said material but a resin composite which would not withstand our new 8kW stove. We were hoping to keep the surround for the stove.

Rang the company and they wont do anything unless we can prove we were told explicitly that it was cast-iron - have we any comeback or do we just have to put up with this misrepresentation and pay for a new fireplace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Moved to Consumer Issues

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP what does the sales document you have when you bought the item say?
    Unless you have something written down its your word against there's...very hard prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Do you have any of the sales literature? Maybe a leaflet you kept with a description?

Did the fire suround work OK with a good old fashioned fire in a grate? If it does that then it was fit for purpose as it wasn't designed for a multifuelstove.

If it would have melted if you had an ordinary fire then not fit for purpose unless it was sold as a decorative item only that can't be used with ANY form of fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 skigolf

No unfortunately I don't think I have the sales document after all this time - I will check again - I suppose my point is I was sold a cast iron stove - paid cast iron prices (£1500 at the time) - referred to it as cast-iron at time of purchase to the shop in Drogheda and was not told otherwise - I would not have bought a resin fireplace for that amount of money...

Anyway, I was had - not the only one looking at some issues people have had with certain fireplace dealers. Let's say I wont be recommending them to anyone.

Thanks for the feedback anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Would that fireplace shop in Drogheda be located in a retail/industrial park? Love if you could pm me the name, I want to avoid these guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement