Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition stuck?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭

I have an 07 Alfa GT and I was wondering if anyone has come across this before, looking for something to try before I ring the garage

Where I park has narrow spots so I reversed in from an angle and got out, looking back at the car I had left the wheels turned in such a way that they would make it difficult for someone to get into the spot next to me

So I went back to the car and being lazy didn't bother starting it up but just turned the wheel a bit to straighten them until the steering lock came on

Anyway next time I try to start the car the key will barely move in the ignition, it will twiddle a little bit but it wont move from the stop position

I assume this is because of the steering lock as I have had no issue with the ignition, either turning it or starting it

Without moving the key from the stop position there seems to be no way to release the steering lock and as such now way to move the key (the key isn't stuck in the ignition, it goes in and out fine)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Wiggle the steering wheel slowly (will be stiff) whilst trying to turn key..

You need to wiggle the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

si_guru wrote: »
    Wiggle the steering wheel slowly (will be stiff) whilst trying to turn key..
    RoverJames wrote: »
    You need to wiggle the wheel.

I have tried this, the wheel is very stiff and barely moves at all, never had a problem with the steering lock before

I will try again though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll need to pull hard on the steering wheel to release the pressure while turning the key gently. If it doesn't work pulling the wheel one way then it will the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

can you jack the front of the car up?

be careful etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

tugging the wheel 1 way or the other should work. You'll prob need 2 hands to do it so get someone to turn the key for you. It has happened to numerous people before including myself. You will have to use some force of pressure to do it. It won't be a common occourence tho. It just happens sometimes.

Thanks guys

I will try again this evening and let you know

I have never come across this before and google threw up nothing, anytime the steering lock was on in any car I have had it was easy enough to get it off

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

happened me years ago (also on an Alfa as it happens!) Can't remember how I got around it as there was so much pressure on the wheel. Think I let the handbrake off and rolled it back a little

Thanks guys

I will try again this evening and let you know

I have never come across this before and google threw up nothing, anytime the steering lock was on in any car I have had it was easy enough to get it off
    As Yawns says, it only happens once in a blue moon. It's just one of those little things you pick up over time.;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    As Yawns says, it only happens once in a blue moon. It's just one of those little things you pick up over time.;)

Cool I was worried it might be something serious

And people say Alfa's are reliable nowadays. Pah! :p

• Advertisement

That's not unreliablity, that's personality.:)

Thanks for the advice lads

It took a hell of a lot of force to move the wheel but eventually it did shift and I could get the key moving

It is right as rain now, Thanks :)

Advertisement