Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in for a Used Car

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, This is my first post so go easy;)

I currently own a Skoda Fabia 2001 1.4 petrol and I am looking for something a bit more economical as I do a good bit of driving. My brother had a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6tdci and he maintained it was a great car. What do ye guys think of it economically and reliability wise? My mechanic said it is a peugeot engine and has does troublesome dmf filters and also turbos can be a problem in his opinion.

I have about a 5500 euro budget and have viewed a few cars that included trading my car in the deal but they have been in poor nic. I have been keeping an eye on donedeal and gumtree, carzone looks a waste of time. Is there any other sites worth looking at? Anyone looking to sell their focus pm me:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why are you only looking at Focii? They're good cars, but there are other options out there. The Motors staple, the Octavia, is a good choice in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Spending €5500 to save maybe €20 a week doesn't make sense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Confab wrote: »
    Why are you only looking at Focii? They're good cars, but there are other options out there. The Motors staple, the Octavia, is a good choice in this situation.

Yep very true octavia is a good reliable car from what i hear. Seem to be a bit more expensive than the focus from what i have seen on the adverts. I suppose another plus for the focus is the tax will be a bit cheaper on the 1.6 compared to the 1.9 octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

The brother only bought a 2005 newer model, he had it about 2 months and low and beholdthe turbo went, as your mechanic said it has a peugeot engine and the volvo the c-max and a few others has to same engine so youd imangine parts would be easy to come by but no,
    the turbo was a GARRETT 110 or 115 BHP and cant be got anywhere and will be waiting amonth for the dealers to get one oh and the best thing about it is it ONLY cost 808 euro lol,

sorry for the long reply but just giving you my brothers experiance with the focus,

Absurdum wrote: »
    Spending €5500 to save maybe €20 a week doesn't make sense :confused:

Yes this a good point but my fabia has 130,000 miles on it and is showing signs of its age and i feel a slightly newer car may be more reliable on the long journies. Servicing this fabia and putting more money into replacing expensiveparts doesnt make sense to me when its worth feck all.

• Advertisement

thebull09 wrote: »
    The brother only bought a 2005 newer model, he had it about 2 months and low and beholdthe turbo went, as your mechanic said it has a peugeot engine and the volvo the c-max and a few others has to same engine so youd imangine parts would be easy to come by but no,
    the turbo was a GARRETT 110 or 115 BHP and cant be got anywhere and will be waiting amonth for the dealers to get one oh and the best thing about it is it ONLY cost 808 euro lol,

sorry for the long reply but just giving you my brothers experiance with the focus,

Ya he mentioned that a blocked oil galley may contribute to the turbo problems. Wow thats pretty expensive for a turbo.

Advertisement