Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone private in Our Lady Of Lourdes?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone

I am just over 7 weeks pregnant and it's my first :-)

I had a scan today with my gyno and all is well. Looks like a little fish at the moment with a beating heart :D

Anyway I was wondering if some of you could help me out here. I cant make up my mind if i want to go private with Our Lady Of Lourdes or not! my gyno today explained that going private here rather than in dublin works out a lot cheaper. I would ahve to pay 2500 euro which means i get to see my gyno in his private clinic many times if i want and have scans and blood tests done and he would be the one to deliver my baby. Also i would get a private room if available at time of birth. I only need to go into the hospiotal once at 20 weeks for the big scan.

I have also booked an appointment with Rotunda semi-private which costs 1200 euro. I would get maybe 2 or 3 scans and semi private room if available.
    I may or may not see same doctor each time either.

Can someone please give me some thoughts on this? anyone went private in Our Lady Of Lourdes? did you like your stay there? was it clean? were staff nice and professional? did ypou think it was worth the money going private? Im so confused!

many thanks in advance
    curley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

I believe Dublin Semi private is becoming very very busy and starting to show same issues as public system with delays.

Did you ring about the Midwife led unit in the lourdes? The criteria is narrower so less people can attend, the birth suites are meant to be lovely, and you see a midwife at each visit. I hear the waiting times are pretty good too. The MLU are for natural births really, and so if you need an epidural or assisted birth you'll be transferred to the main hospital in the public system.

The public wards in OLOL only have 4 beds anyway so they're nice and small. Staff are all the same once you've had the baby.

Private is nice for the continuity of care, and the possible private room afterwards if that's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 curley10

hi D Rog

I nearly 9 weeks pregnant now :-)
    We did consider the MLU - in fact it's what we were hoping for before thinking of going private. But I have a history of epilepsy and only stopped my meds in march this year and my GP said the MLU are very strict on who they let in and would probably not let me in.
    So we decided to go private in drogheda in the end and get than continous care with one doctor.
    I know there is always the possibility that i may not get a private room but that does not bother me so much. Taking into account of my history we thought it would be best to go private on our first one.
    Thanks for your feedback on this.
    Much appreciated
    Curley10

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Hi curley, no problem :)

With your medical history I'm sure you would have also received great care in the public system, but I understand and agree that for the comfort of building up the one-on-one relationship with the Obs it's worth the money. You'll be well looked after, I found OLOL lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Hi Curley,

My wife and I were in this situation when we were having our baby. We decided to go public in the Lourdes and we honesly couldn't say enough good things about them. There were various complications in the labour but the staff were absolutlely fantastic. Over the 5 day stay in hospital, we'd very little negative things to say overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

curley10 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I am just over 7 weeks pregnant and it's my first :-)

I had a scan today with my gyno and all is well. Looks like a little fish at the moment with a beating heart :D

Anyway I was wondering if some of you could help me out here. I cant make up my mind if i want to go private with Our Lady Of Lourdes or not! my gyno today explained that going private here rather than in dublin works out a lot cheaper. I would ahve to pay 2500 euro which means i get to see my gyno in his private clinic many times if i want and have scans and blood tests done and he would be the one to deliver my baby. Also i would get a private room if available at time of birth. I only need to go into the hospiotal once at 20 weeks for the big scan.

I have also booked an appointment with Rotunda semi-private which costs 1200 euro. I would get maybe 2 or 3 scans and semi private room if available.
    I may or may not see same doctor each time either.

Can someone please give me some thoughts on this? anyone went private in Our Lady Of Lourdes? did you like your stay there? was it clean? were staff nice and professional? did ypou think it was worth the money going private? Im so confused!

many thanks in advance
    curley

Hi Curley,
    My reply may be too late but anyhow...
    I decided to go private in OLOL. It's nearest my home and handy for the appts.
    I am very pleased with the treatment I have received so far. My cons. has their own scanner in their rooms so have had 8 scans so far and am 32 weeks. The cost is approx 2750 with the Rotunda charging 4000 approx for fully private care. I only had to go to the hospital only once at 20 weeks for the big scan. I suffered terrible dizzy spells and was brought in for immediate appt and scans so for me the fees are worth it. I've had 3 sets of bloods so far ( not sure what the norm is)

I have no exp of public in OLOL so can't really comment on it sorry.
    With the 2500 fees 350 is reclaimable through your health insurance and the 20% on the MED1 next year so you would get back 800 approx.

Good luck in your decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement