Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolls worth dodging vs tolls not worth dodging

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭

Seen the thread crying about the M50 westlink and decided id make my own (IMO) list of tolls that are worth the bother or avoiding or "sucking it in"

M50-Coming from Galway Northbound- worth avoiding via Leixlip-Clonee
    M50 - Southbound - A big no-no. Blanch on ramp=worse than hell. Pay the toll buck. Maybe if driving by night id consider the rat-run
    M50 coming from N7 Northbound - Dont know the route well so i generally pay the toll but i hear there is a way via Kingswood exit that isnt too much of a pain in the nuts

M4 - Always Avoid barring running very late for something

M6 - Always pay. Shorter distance-wise much faster journey

M8 - Always take mainly due to not knowing the route but also now that the Motorway network Horse&Jockey-Cork is improved, its a pain in the ass getting off. Also the badly signposted alternative route + constant roadworks in Fermoy a factor

N25 - Waterford bypass - not tried yet. Would imagine worth the toll(?)

Limerick Tunnel - Definitely would pay. Even off peak, traffic lights in stab make me wanna gauge eyeballs

Dublin Port Tunnel - As a middle-class, non truck/bus driver with more sense than money, a definite no-no!

M1 - Definite yes-yes. But again have never gone that route. Cant imagine Drogheda/Julianstown is a joy to rat-run
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I pay them all (except the 50 because it's free on the bridge and expensive in the tunnel).

I can't be bothered driving along bothareens through every two-bit one-horse town in the bleedin' country before getting to my destination. For me it's 120km/hr for as much of the route as possible. Taking the long way is for people who think you need to stop half way to anywhere in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've forgotten the East Link.

The M4 is realistically the only one worth dodging, and yet I still never do.

DPT only has specific purposes really, and if its a case of paying €10 to get home from East Wall in 30 minutes vs. 90, or not miss a ferry, I'll pay it. And its only €3 most of the time now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Stonewolf wrote: »
    I pay them all (except the 50 because it's free on the bridge and expensive in the tunnel).

I can't be bothered driving along bothareens through every two-bit one-horse town in the bleedin' country before getting to my destination. For me it's 120km/hr for as much of the route as possible. Taking the long way is for people who think you need to stop half way to anywhere in Ireland.

I think coming northbound N4 Eastbound-Blanch in the morning youd get there quicker taking the back roads so if speed is a factor....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I find the M4 toll is the one that is most tempting to avoid as most of the traffic that once plagued Enfield/Kinnegad is now gone onto the motorway so you don't lose out that much timewise and the old N4 is still in relatively good shape

As frustrating as the cost of the M50 toll is, I still use it rather than passing through the Lucan/Clonsilla backroads especially at rush hour what with the sharp bends, narrow roads, railway crossings etc but there are 100s of drivers who appear to prefer the daily endurance of the 30 min plus toll dodging detour rather than fork out the 2-3 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

M50-Coming from Galway Northbound- worth avoiding via Leixlip-Clonee
    This brings you through a very residential area in Leixlip, past a primary school, church, public library etc, and isn't particularly fair on a large population of residents.

If you want to dodge the M50 toll go off the M4 at Leixlip West and go up the back of Intel. It's a narrow road but very few people live on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

ongarboy wrote: »
    I find the M4 toll is the one that is most tempting to avoid as most of the traffic that once plagued Enfield/Kinnegad is now gone onto the motorway so you don't lose out that much timewise and the old N4 is still in relatively good shape

I'd go along with this one unless in a rush to save no more than 10 minutes and obviously if travelling at peak times I would dodge this one. I generally avoid the toll going west bound (home for me) and pay it coming up to town. But avoided both ways is 6 bucks saved with price of fuel rocketing its less significant but it was aroudn 5 litres or 50 miles worth of fuel - put it in that context avoiding the tolls does cut some of the spiralling cost of using the car. With the way fuel has gone I reckon I might avoid this one more often to keep total cost of journey down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I use the DPT sometimes. Friday evening going to tha airport from Merrion Square I just can't be arsed doing all that traffic. Obviously wouldn't use it daily! If there's a few people with me I get a few euro off them, well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I live beside the East Link(on the southside) and was asked by a mate recently if I travelled over it on my commute. He was expecting a yes answer as it seems most 'viable'.

Not in a million years I told him as I can travel over the new Samuel Beckett bridge(still terrible trafficwise) or use the CHQ route via Pearse st. East Link makes no gain on my travel time.

On another note, I still don't understand drivers who live near the M50 who try to avoid the toll as the routes around the toll are mayhem fuel wise and time wise as another poster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

The toll between Kilcock and Enfield is disgracefully opportunistic.
    Its only there to catch the people getting off at Enfield and milk as many cars as they can.

Out of principle I dont take the M4 toll. I did once to save time. . . I saved a minute :D

Ahh, my little protest will be heard and they will change things :rolleyes:
    Money grabbing tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

bbk wrote: »
    The toll between Kilcock and Enfield is disgracefully opportunistic.
    Its only there to catch the people getting off at Enfield and milk as many cars as they can.

Out of principle I dont take the M4 toll. I did once to save time. . . I saved a minute :D

Ahh, my little protest will be heard and they will change things :rolleyes:
    Money grabbing tits.

To avoid do you just get on/off at Kinnegad/Kilcock ? €2.90 is a joke of a toll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The joys of having just one toll barrier...unlike France where every way onto a tolled road has a barrier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

wellbutty wrote: »
    The joys of having just one toll barrier...unlike France where every way onto a tolled road has a barrier :D

Yes, but then you generally pay a toll on exit based on the distance travelled on the road which is a fairer system - the M4 toll charges the driver going to Kinnegad the same as the west-bound driver heading all the way to Galway etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jrar wrote: »
    Yes, but then you generally pay a toll on exit based on the distance travelled on the road which is a fairer system - the M4 toll charges the driver going to Kinnegad the same as the west-bound driver heading all the way to Galway etc.

mainly because you're being charged only for the PPP sections... exactly the same as in France!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

jrar wrote: »

More or less. I was in France, just across the border from Geneva, last year.

They have changed the system there so that the MOST USED junctions are actually tolled more, not just on distance.

For example, if this were applied in Ireland, on a trip from Dublin the M7 J19>M8 (Cork) junction would have a higher toll than the one before or after it. Pure capitalism in its finest form!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

MYOB wrote: »
    You've forgotten the East Link.

the east link is crazy the fact we still have to pay for it and by this stage its defo paid for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The M7 toll from Portlaoise to Borris in Ossory is one I always dodge as it gives me little real value. I would only save 2 mins overall and it is a longer distance than the old N7. I am not the only one avoiding the toll. The old road between Borris and J18 is still very busy. I would only pay the toll if I was travelling down from Dublin rather than divert off for the last few km. Certainly it is not worth it when doing local journeys such as Borris-Portlaoise.

Advertisement