Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pyrochanta hedge

Options
  • 17-05-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,

I have a large pyrochanta hedge in my back garden, 8ft tall by up to 3ft deep. trouble is there seems be a significant chunk in places that may have been killed by the heavy frost ( guess ) during the winter.

Is there any way that this may come again in time, or will i have to bite the bullet and remove a lot of it. It has been more or less been untended during the past 6 months i reckon.

Thanks in advance,

freddy15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Pyracanthas are fairly hardy customers as far as I can see; the hard winter didn't knock a flitter out of mine, nor of any others I've seen.

Whatever affected yours, you can tell if its likely to be still alive in the damaged area by scraping a bit of bark and looking for live green tissue. if there are dead stems or branches, remove them (once you're sure they are goners) by cutting back to the live portions. With a bit of luck they should send out new shoots to plugs the gaps.

Advertisement